Xsara Heater stuck on full blast!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Clogzz

Post by Clogzz »

Very interesting ! :D

Never seen a relay on my motor, but then I never took the pcb out.
It all makes very good sense.
The relay is for the maximum speed only, and the transistors are for the lower speeds. Image
Congratulations ! Image

Skull
Donor 2020

Re: Xsara Heater stuck on full blast!

Post by Skull »

Bought a Xsara Coupe 2.0 HDi (2003) as a 'good runner' but so far it's spent more time in pieces .... :roll:

My blower was running full blast all the time and annoying me so decided to try and fix it.... electrics especially modern 'electrickery' are not my specialty :oops:

I was going to just wire in an on/off switch through the fuse box but that would mean drilling the bulkhead to run some 40 amp wire through ... then I thought maybe just take the control switch out and try and wire a switch into the live feed that way .... the dash is half out and I have removed the heating control unit .... bizarrely enough the fan still runs with the engine running even though the heating control unit is totally removed :shock: .....I thought there might be a type of rheostat in the unit controlling the speed of the fan that had failed :?: I was expecting the fan to at least stop running when disconnected but now realise it's better as a fail-safe to have it running than have no demister at all .... clever guys @ Citroen :wink:

That's when I decided to have a look on here and from what I've read and the parts I think I've understood It sounds more like the resistors on the blower motor itself that may have failed #-o

Can anyone confirm that this is the likeliest problem just from my description above [-o<

Apologies for meddling :roll:

Paul-R
Donor 2020

Post by Paul-R »

Not the resistors but the transistors. My old Xsara did exactly the same thing (maximum speed - all or nothing - no adjustment on speed) and then failed completely. A transistor kit and some time with a soldering iron fixed it.

Skull
Donor 2020

Post by Skull »

Thanks Paul-R I'll get the dash stuck back together and re-focus on the blower TRANSISTORS :wink: ....

Paul-R
Donor 2020

Post by Paul-R »

Yes, I made the mistake of dismantling the heater control area first as well!