Xantia dashboard light replacement ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mandrake
My Cars:

Xantia dashboard light replacement ?

Post by Mandrake »

Hi All,

Considering removing the dash on my Xantia to replace a few faulty/intermitant bulbs... some of the lights for the rev counter and outside temp guage either dont go at all or come and go if you thump them, but was wondering what I was letting myself in for here if I try to take the dash out, as every car I've ever done that on the past has turned out to be a mamoth job!!

So whats the minimum amount of dissassembly needed to get at the bulbs ? It also has the steering wheel airbag, will I be messing with that to get at the dash too ? :(

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

Hi. Is yours the 'facelift' model? If so I seem to remember reading that they changed the circuit board behind the instruments to a throw away item and that you were unable to change the bulbs.... IF it's true... might be worth checking before going to the trouble of stripping the panel down. :evil:
Sutton Coldfield, West Mids
Xantia V6 Exclusive (2000
Xantia 1.9TD SX (2000)
Previously owned
Xantia V6 Exclusive (97)
XM V6 Exclusive (95)
AX 1.4
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

No,

It's a 1997 series 1.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1978 CX 2400
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

I will send you a few spare bulbs! I have removed the dash pod several times without to much hassle, in fact this how I change the plastic clutch clip through that space. You do have to be a bit brutal though! You will have enough space to attach the cable plugs to check the circuits before assembly. There must be 15 + bulbs.
Cheers!
John
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

The dashboard doesn't need removing to take the instrument panel out.
The filaments go brittle, and the removal job in itself may cause all the lamps to pack up.
Pictures here, looking like from the Haynes book:

http://www.planete-citroen.com/forum/sh ... .php?t=115

There are stories of not taking the steering wheel off.
Steering wheel removal threads, obviously been there:

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31108

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=17360
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
zxTd

Post by zxTd »

to save the system information when removing the steering wheel the earth lead from the battery needs to be removed before you start "consider the radio code it will be lost" the airbag system is self is safe because of legislation" you cant set it off unless you intend it" insurance companies know this, removal of the steering wheel will not set the air bag off "ignition off and key removed for safety reasons of course"
zxTd

Post by zxTd »

also dont use cigar lighter remember tools which stores radio memory codes because this keeps the airbag system live and is known as "KAM" KEEP ALIVE MEMORY and the ECU records this so insurance is invalidated :idea:
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

zxTd wrote:also dont use cigar lighter remember tools which stores radio memory codes because this keeps the airbag system live and is known as "KAM" KEEP ALIVE MEMORY and the ECU records this so insurance is invalidated :idea:
Sorry,

I don't follow you here ??

Also by the way my radio doesn't have a code system, and in fact the radio is not even fitted in the car because I have it out for servicing...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

JohnT wrote:I will send you a few spare bulbs! I have removed the dash pod several times without to much hassle, in fact this how I change the plastic clutch clip through that space. You do have to be a bit brutal though! You will have enough space to attach the cable plugs to check the circuits before assembly. There must be 15 + bulbs.
Wow, thats very kind of you John! Are they tiny little things that will fit in the same envelope ?

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Clogzz wrote:The dashboard doesn't need removing to take the instrument panel out.
The filaments go brittle, and the removal job in itself may cause all the lamps to pack up.
I think I have some poor contacts on the bulb holders too, as sometimes thumping the top of the dash brings back on some lights that weren't working... (not all though)

Looks like its a steering wheel out job! At least I don't have to take the entire dash off. (I've had the entire dash out of a GS and a CX before and it was NOT FUN.... :roll: )

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1978 CX 2400
zxTd

Post by zxTd »

sorry mandrake m8 a better explanation, the memory dongle sometimes used to store the radio code while the battery is disconnected to allow work on the car

what it does is keep it powered up via a 9v battery when plugged into the cigy lighter but it also keeps the airbag system live and codes in the ECU are not lost ( handy little tool really ) but as you dont have a radio code you dont have that problem,

hope that explains it better :wink:
HST

Post by HST »

I've just had my instrument cluster out to reset the rev counter. It's a facelift model so perhaps slightly different. There was no need to take off the steering wheel. Complete removal of the control panel below wasn't required either: just loosen enough to get it out of the way.

BTW the facelift model doesn't use a speedo cable (uses two surprisingly good quality electrical connectors for everything) and DOES have removable bulbs.

It was pretty strightforward - less than an hour.

Here's what I did.

Remove steering column shroud.

Remove small control panel on lower RHS (open fusebox to access one of the screws).

Remove three screws from the long control panel that contains the clock etc. Partially (or fully if you can) unclip the LHS of this panel.

Remove three screws holding in instrument cluster & withdraw it carefully.