AX handbrake cable.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

maddave

AX handbrake cable.

Post by maddave »

Just after a bit of advice really. My gf's ax, (damn this car!), the drivers side handbrake cable snapped. I plan to replace it this weekend but wondering if there is a tried and tested way to do it.

Replace in the drum first and fit to the handbrake last, or is it best to hook it on the handbrake and then fit it to the drum?

Any pointers to spending less time on my arse in the snow and ice would be appreciated!!1 :D
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

I've always dont the drum end first on AX's. Doesnt seem like too bad a job.

Shame about the snow and ice as you say, I've got a kingpin to do before i go back to work in the new year, hope it warms up a bit.
"Rust Never Sleeps" said Neil Young. Did he own old citroens?
1998 Xantia TD exclusive auto estate +3 x BX's +77' ami 8 break + 73' dyane 6 + '83 2CV6 + 94' XM 2.1 sx auto + 89' XM2.0i
+ '85' GSA + '97 XM 2.0 16v + '81 Visa super E
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Am I right in thinking the two cables are different sizes?

I know someone who bought a cheap pair from somewhere and they weren't the right size - the longer one was the same size as the shorter one on the car so someone got it wrong!

Ian
1986 Citroën 2cv Dolly. 133k. All shiny again!
1994 Citroën AX 1.0 Jive - girlies' workhorse GONE
maddave

Post by maddave »

Cheers for the replies. I just got the cable from GSF. They list it as Left or right and on looking at the car last saturday they seemed to be the same size. Both sides hook onto the handbrake in the centre.

Hope fully wont be too hard a job then.

cheers for the replies.