Activa sticking clutch pedal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hi, this problem is only for bods with knowledge of the hydraulic clutch mechanisms in Xantias and the like.
My Activa is showing an intermitent and annoying problem - the clutch pedal occassionally sticks at about the third depressed position as it returns from being fully depressed during gearchanges. :cry:
It can get a bit embarrasing as you speed away from the lights with near perfect gearchanges and the clutch slipping as it is not fully released! This does not happen all the time, every time. A swift repositioning of the foot under the pedal resolves the problem but it obviously ain't right.
A pre-emptive look at the pedal shows adequate movement with no fouling of the pedal by the trims etc. Could the return spring be worn or snapped? Could the bearings in the pivot be worn or require lubrication? Is there a return spring at the other end? Is lubrication required?
Do these symptoms point to other problems? Clutch hydraulic system renewal? Defective clutch bearing?
Any thoughts greatly appreciated before I have to get down and get all mucky.

"A Merry Christmas to all our readers!"
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

Oh! I thought it was a cable operated clutch :shock:
Sutton Coldfield, West Mids
Xantia V6 Exclusive (2000
Xantia 1.9TD SX (2000)
Previously owned
Xantia V6 Exclusive (97)
XM V6 Exclusive (95)
AX 1.4
JohnW
My Cars:

Re: Activa sticking clutch pedal

Post by JohnW »

handyman wrote:Hi, this problem is only for bods with knowledge of the hydraulic clutch mechanisms in Xantias and the like.
My Activa is showing an intermitent and annoying problem - the clutch pedal occassionally sticks at about the third depressed position as it returns from being fully depressed during gearchanges. :cry:
It can get a bit embarrasing as you speed away from the lights with near perfect gearchanges and the clutch slipping as it is not fully released! This does not happen all the time, every time. A swift repositioning of the foot under the pedal resolves the problem but it obviously ain't right.
A pre-emptive look at the pedal shows adequate movement with no fouling of the pedal by the trims etc. Could the return spring be worn or snapped? Could the bearings in the pivot be worn or require lubrication? Is there a return spring at the other end? Is lubrication required?
Do these symptoms point to other problems? Clutch hydraulic system renewal? Defective clutch bearing?
Any thoughts greatly appreciated before I have to get down and get all mucky.

"A Merry Christmas to all our readers!"
Now this is really meant to be helpful, I promise. Ours has the same issue when the floor mat slides forward. It's worth checking.

JohnW
handyman
My Cars:

Sticky pedal

Post by handyman »

Hi JohnW, I know it was obvious and it was one of the first things I looked at, along with the sound deadening under the carpet, trim panels around the pedals, loose wires, dead rats, etc. This why I am looking at worn or defective parts next.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Handyman
JohnW
My Cars:

Re: Sticky pedal

Post by JohnW »

handyman wrote:Hi JohnW, I know it was obvious and it was one of the first things I looked at, along with the sound deadening under the carpet, trim panels around the pedals, loose wires, dead rats, etc. This why I am looking at worn or defective parts next.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Handyman
Ah well, worth asking! Our daughter didn't believe my suggestion, just yesterday, until she had moved the mat further than she believed was relevant. Funny coincidence in timing!

Hard to see a reason, hence your question I guess. If the clutch is tired, it would likely be heavy, not what you describe. If the cable, maybe sticky - perhaps there is some fraying inside the bowden cable housing - but you did imply a hydraulic clutch?

Best of luck anyway - I'll be interested to hear the outcome.

Cheers

JohnW
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The 2.1 td has a hydraulic clutch.
JohnW
My Cars:

Post by JohnW »

Peter.N. wrote:The 2.1 td has a hydraulic clutch.
Ah, time for me to watch quietly! Many French cars over the years, none with one of those devices.

JohnW
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

I see from the posts to my query, that not all Xant owners know that the Activa may look like a common or garden Xantia, but has many differences to distance it in terms of the evolutionary tree. A bit like a monkey's uncle.

We own, within the family, one Xantia SX estate and four Activas, all with varying mileages and ages from an early Mk1 to later Mk2s, all with different spec levels.

After driving the estate with its heavy cable operated clutch, the clutch in any of the Activas is featherlight by comparison and far less fatiguing, especially in urban driving.

"A Merry Christmas to all our readers."

Handyman
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Hydraulic clutch is also on the other Turbo CT engined Xantias and the HDi.

And yes it is much lighter than the cable versions.
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

Hi. can we mere mortals convert ours to hydraulic or am I strawing at clutches so to speak.Regards john