MOT Nightmare

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

They could also fail a Giraffe on tounge colour, It could be too black or not black enough :roll:
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

as promised the update.........peugeot took the car in and found that the ecu had stored some error warnings (though the ABS system was still working) they cleared the warnings of the ECU and the car then went back and passed the retest........

all in all cost him £100 for the test and £50 for the peugeot ECU read.....

dunno what the moral of this tale is but it was a definate interrogation of the car ECU, the warning light inside the car was fine and the ABS was working properly anyway...........

Certainly could have been loads worse a new ecu was about a grand.......
M reg xantia 1.9td 266000 miles expired
R reg xantia 1.9td 186000 miles veggy power expired
L reg renault clio 1.9D 91000 miles expired at 107000 miles
x reg clio 15d veggy power bottom of the car rotted through
06 c5 2.2 TD wowser so much power and comfort 160000 miles
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

its bad news for local garages , as no one will use them as you will need to service your car at a local dealer so that the ecu always gets read and any errors cleared just to pass the MOT .

I cannot see local garages investing in the computers and connections to read all ecus and keep them upto date .

It looks like only rich people will be able to drive soon , as these will only be the people to afford main dealer rates :evil:

Or you just will not see old cars as it will be cheaper to buy a new car every 3 years.
2.0 hdi xsara estate been a pain but starting to look like a good buy
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

No definitive answer to the point then eh? My tester (allegedly) takes readings from the results, adds it in to the comuter which checks it against preset parameters and it decides if it passes or fails. His input is paramount to the final decision which is not his.

This is about as factual as most posts so it seems. (Tongue in cheek cause I dont really have a clue).

Does anyone have a knowledable answer to this , based on a knowledge of the current legistlation on MOT requirements? It seems we are all grasping at straws currently.
Cheers!
John
carl
My Cars:

Post by carl »

Can,t you just join the oil pressure light to the abs light. Read this in a list of "great bodges" . Since one of the previous answers stated that the light had to come on this should suffice.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

carl wrote:Can,t you just join the oil pressure light to the abs light. Read this in a list of "great bodges" . Since one of the previous answers stated that the light had to come on this should suffice.
No No No No No No No!

MOT testing stations have a list of 99% of vehicle manufacturers ABS systems, and information on what the lamp on the dashboard should do. If it does what it should, then no problem. If it doesn't, then it's a fail.

I'm fairly sure that an MOT station should NOT be interrogating the ABS ECU. It's nothing to do with them.

..... Remind me never to buy a car with ABS!
This is not a signature.
fatboyslimfast

Modern MOT test

Post by fatboyslimfast »

When a car is tested, the ONLY thing attached to it are (petrol) tachometer clamp and oil temp probe and then emission probe - on diesels it's just oil temp and smoke probe. There is no need to plug anything else into the car. In less than 2 years I can see the gas analyser and brake roller tester being wired into the main MOT computer so that no operater input is required, apart from the signature! The whole idea of computerisation was to create a level playing field, so a failure at one garage was identical to another. I personnaly don't have a problem with it, except it does slow down the whole test process, but it is a good system. As for on-board diagnostics, all modern cars (post 2000) should be equipped with European On Board Diaganostic (EOBD) sockets which allow ANY Police force carrying out routine emission checks to read basic engine data only. All main dealers are equipped with there own diag machines that can read other makes of cars - if ours packs up we can use VW.
weety2

Post by weety2 »

hi,
the peugeot in question was mine, which is now through the MOT.

it went in for the MOT and i did the standard pre-MOT checks, but it failed on the ABS warning light.

The light was not on (beyond ignition sequence), and as far i was concerned was no problem.

with the new VSI info it tells the MOT station the ABS sequence, and the tester obseved it was signalling a fault (not sure how yet)
needless to say it fails MOT, goes to peugeot, gets plugged onto their computer to which the ABS ECU had recored a "intermittent" fault.
2 taps of a computer keyboard and £40 later it heads back to the MOT testing station with fault log cleared.

As far as i was concened there was no problem, turn ignition key,light comes on , light goes out. I am now going to look for the specifics of how this 'fault' is shown up, so i dont get caught out next time.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

I showed this thread to a Peugeot technician with 15+ years Peugeot training & who has also been an MOT tester for many years & has been running the new computerised MOT system for over a year.

The following points where raised by him:

The MOT test computer isn't connected to the ABS system in anyway, Its only the warning light sequence that is checked.

The break weight tester isn't connected to the MOT test computer either, The person testing the car types all the results in & then the computer works it out for them.

After asking him about this thread either someones been stiched up or I dont believe a word of it.