Two ZX questions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lighteninguk

Two ZX questions

Post by lighteninguk »

hi all,

Decided to by some osram Silver Star the other day and fitted them today, whilst seeing what the beam was like with engine running and full beams on, i turned off the engine with the key, engine still continued to turn even with the key out! admittedly the stop light was dimmer, felt very strange, stopped the engine by turning off the full beams. Not that ill be practicing this strange piece of citroen electronics engineering often/at all, does it happen to any of you guys?

secondly, the driver door unlocking mech is getting very stiff, but the passenger side is fine, would it be possible to do a stright swap of the key barrels from passengerside to drivers side n visa versa, and would therre be anything else around that area which would be worth "lubeing" up to make things easier to turn?

Thanks

Edd
ZX 1.4I 1993 Reflex KDX
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

I aint got a clue about the lights and the engine running bit, but as for the lock stifening up, Take the barrel out of the door and leave it in some WD40/diesel/any other type of thin lubricant overnight (if possible). This worked for my boot lock. Whilst you have the door car off, make sure any moving parts in the locking mechanism and rods etc are well lubricated. Another trick is to spray some WD40 in the lock, then dip the key in some grease and turn it in the lock a few times, this can help free off some locks (worked on a mates fiesta, and on my dads bx).
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

I have found that WD40 acts as a degreaser and dries out fairly quickly, leaving you with a worse situation than you had before! :roll:

I think spraying with grease, or silicone spray is a better idea.. :) My personal preferance is silicone, gease tends to attract dirt and dust, that can lead to things jamming up long term.. :(

Tips.. Spraying silicone round your door shuts stops the rubber from sticking to the metal in cold weather.. :) It also forms a protective barrier if sprayed on the front of your bonnet, bumper, and lights in summer, making removing dead insects much easier.. As I said, I like silicone spray.. :) :) :) lol...
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.