AX dies at ramdom intervals.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

maddave

AX dies at ramdom intervals.

Post by maddave »

Hello, my girlfriends 1992 1.0 AX keeps haveing a ramdom problem. When driving she will approach a junction, slow down, etc and the car will stall. If she starts it back up again it just stalls and she has to keep revving the engine to keep it going, or pulling the choke out. It happens every so often, not an everyday occurence. Anyone know what could be causing this? I thought it might be the cold weather causing carb icing or something but it happens after a long run so the engine is fully warmed up.

Any ideas?
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

This is unlikely to be carb icing. Not because the engine is warm, but because it is refusing to idle. An iced carb will usually still allow the engine to idle, but cause resticted power at higher RPM.

To check for carb icing, when the engine starts playing silly buggers, park at the side of the road for 5 minutes, and see if it runs fine afterwards. If it does, then it's worth making further checks for icing (when it ices up again)

This sounds more likely to be an amount of crud floating about in the carb, and randomly blocking jets. A strip and clean will help a lot if this is the case.
This is not a signature.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Ah! A car with a carburetter, the only petrol ones I know anything about. Sounds as though you could have some rubbish in the float chamber occaisionaly blocking the slow running jet (if its not a CD type) the easiest way of curing it is to take the air filter off, rev the engine and put your hand flat over the air intake, but take it off before the engine stops or you might not be able to start it. That should hopefully suck any obstruction through. Used to work for me anyway.
maddave

Post by maddave »

Hmm sounds good. Im used to VW Beetles so carb icing is second nature with their long manifolds, but on the ax the manifold is very short so was a bit dubious. I like the sound of blocked jets. I think a carb rebuild a can of carb spray and a new fuel filter is in order. Im sure I'll come back if the problem continues.

Cheers all.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

maddave wrote:I like the sound of blocked jets.
I like the sound of vacuum leaks.
Engine stopping when taking foot off the accelerator is likely to be air leaking into the vacuum.
The carburettor will have several gaskets, and they can leak because the alloy goes out of shape, letting the air in.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I would also have to agree with Clogzz, i was a sufferer of my ZX Reflex which stalled in any kind of circumstance imaginable.

My main memory was driving up a very steep hill to get onto a main road when i went to sheffield college and as i took my foot off the accelerator, started to brake and then put the clutch down it stalled, slightly scary, however i got so use to it that i was ready with the handbrake and to turn the ignition again...it was an absolute pain.

Accelerating seemed to stall the car
Braking seemed to stall the car
Changing gear seemed to stall the car

In the end it was down to air, im sure Wilkobob can clairfy "air"
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(