Xantia Blower Motor

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

johnway
My Cars:

Xantia Blower Motor

Post by johnway »

Hello,
Have inspected the subject item and cannot see how to dismantle the little blighter to get at the brushes and transistors without wrecking the fan cage... any suggestions welcome. How can you get at the air distribution vents/flaps without dismantling half of the car?
Many thanks,
John (yes I am freezing but still enjoying the ride).
My chariots : 2002 Pug 406 110 HDI Executive Estate 138K
1995 Citroen AX 1.0 Debut 26K
I Blame it all on my Dad!! (Sadly had to give up driving & his 2nd BX) but Mum still has a C1.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Although I have done at least two of these I couldn't remember either! so I have just been and had a look at a spare one I have. Right, if you look down through the blower rotor you will find that the motor is mounted into the casing with three rubber mountings, if you turn the rotor round , there are three cutouts that will line up with the mountings, if you then look at the side of the casing just below the rotor, you will find three square holes whch go through to the rubbers, you can push a screwdriver in and compress the rubbers, lever them up gently and the pull the motor out.
johnway
My Cars:

Xantia Blower Motor

Post by johnway »

Peter.N. wrote:Although I have done at least two of these I couldn't remember either! so I have just been and had a look at a spare one I have. Right, if you look down through the blower rotor you will find that the motor is mounted into the casing with three rubber mountings, if you turn the rotor round , there are three cutouts that will line up with the mountings, if you then look at the side of the casing just below the rotor, you will find three square holes whch go through to the rubbers, you can push a screwdriver in and compress the rubbers, lever them up gently and the pull the motor out.
Pete,
Many thanks for this - i will attack said motor tonight!!
Regards,
John.
I Blame it all on my Dad!! (Sadly had to give up driving & his 2nd BX) but Mum still has a C1.
johnway
My Cars:

Xantia Blower Motor

Post by johnway »

Hello,
Once you know how to do it, it's a doddle!! Gentle prising and pushing thru the square holes in the side of the motor assembly soon had the offending beast apart. Both brushes had seen much better days and could do with replacement. The clicking was obviously due to the electric relay cutting in & out (mounted on the underside of the aluminium piece holding the transistors which are probably at the root of the problem). Off to Maplins for some new ones and a search for appropriate brushes. All in all I think the total repair should cost a lot less than the £99 + VAT for a new motor from GSF !!. It certainly pays to use this excellent forum.
All the best,
John.
geoff_h

Post by geoff_h »

I fixed the blower in my Peugeot last w/e - it sounds identical.

Nearly wrecked the fan cage by pulling so hard the little rubber thingies just popped out - didn't know the trick at that time.

Not sure if you can get repalcement brushes though (tell me if you know where).

In the meantime, the brush travel was actually arrested by the wire reaching the end of its side slot.

By extending the wire (soldering iron job) and feeding the lengthened wire up the centre of the spring instead, it's working fine again.

Should be good for at least another year if my wear rate calculations are correct.

Geoff
johnway
My Cars:

Xantia Blower Motor - working!!

Post by johnway »

Yipee!! 2 transistors later from Maplins (PNP MJ2955), a quick solder job, replace all the parts, connect back up, fire up the engine, everything crossed, slide the fan control to max and whoosh!! Super, now can face driving the Xantia to work and back this Winter. Many thanks to all for guidance given.
Regards,
John.
johnway
My Cars:

Post by johnway »

geoff_h wrote:I fixed the blower in my Peugeot last w/e - it sounds identical.

Nearly wrecked the fan cage by pulling so hard the little rubber thingies just popped out - didn't know the trick at that time.

Not sure if you can get repalcement brushes though (tell me if you know where).

In the meantime, the brush travel was actually arrested by the wire reaching the end of its side slot.

By extending the wire (soldering iron job) and feeding the lengthened wire up the centre of the spring instead, it's working fine again.

Should be good for at least another year if my wear rate calculations are correct.

Geoff

Hi Geoff,
No luck with brushes yet but will keep looking (mine still have a bit of life left in them yet)
John.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I went to maplins website (.co.uk) and searched for "PNP MJ2955" but it came up with quite a few items but nothing close to the item searched, could you provide the code that the website would show for the transistors you bought, as i want to buy a couple just incase.

Also could you explain the process of replacing them, im certainly no electrician, but have done a little bit of soldering in that past
:?

Cheers!
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
splat2

Re: Xantia Blower Motor - working!!

Post by splat2 »

johnway wrote:Yipee!! 2 transistors later from Maplins (PNP MJ2955), a quick solder job, replace all the parts, connect back up, fire up the engine, everything crossed, slide the fan control to max and whoosh!!
Does it work on the other speeds as well? If I remember correctly the transistors are bypassed by the relay on full speed.

You can actually remove the transistor module without disassembling the whole thing by carefully bending the fan enough to wiggle the module out. Probably not recommended, though...
'97 Xantia TD 170k
johnway
My Cars:

Post by johnway »

mezuk04 wrote:I went to maplins website (.co.uk) and searched for "PNP MJ2955" but it came up with quite a few items but nothing close to the item searched, could you provide the code that the website would show for the transistors you bought, as i want to buy a couple just incase.

Also could you explain the process of replacing them, im certainly no electrician, but have done a little bit of soldering in that past
:?

Cheers!
Hello,
The Maplins online cat. does not show the transistors but their store catalogue does. Their ref. no. is BL38. As far as desoldering the old ones, 1st you have to drill out the retaining rivets and tap them out. The rivets can be replaced with nuts and bolts. Then armed with a solder sucker and a good hot iron, heat each soldered leg until you see the solder bubble and apply the sucker. You can also apply a little pressure on the iron tip when heating to persuade the legs to let go. You can also twiddle the transistors by the case to help things along whilest the heat is being applied. Be sure to clean your soldering iron tip on a damp sponge and apply a little solder afterwards each application to aid the heat conduction. Also remember which way round the new ones go (only work on 1 transistor at a time!!). Once removed, simply apply some conductive paste to the bottom of the new tranny, push into the vacant holes (the right way round), bolt in place and apply new solder to the legs and board. Piece of cake!!
Regards,
John.
johnway
My Cars:

Re: Xantia Blower Motor - working!!

Post by johnway »

splat2 wrote:
johnway wrote:Yipee!! 2 transistors later from Maplins (PNP MJ2955), a quick solder job, replace all the parts, connect back up, fire up the engine, everything crossed, slide the fan control to max and whoosh!!
Does it work on the other speeds as well? If I remember correctly the transistors are bypassed by the relay on full speed.

You can actually remove the transistor module without disassembling the whole thing by carefully bending the fan enough to wiggle the module out. Probably not recommended, though...
Hello,
Yes it works at 4 speeds: Slow, Auto, Max and OFF !! I also would not recommend bending the cage... it's quite simple to encourage the motor upwards to give enough clearance to extract the heat sink/transistors.
Regards,
John.