Synergie cold starting probs !

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ayden
My Cars:

Synergie cold starting probs !

Post by ayden »

Had a problem this morning when starting the synergie its the 2.0 hdi 99' i think :? i think its just time for a new battery i jus wanna check its nothing else basically it just ran the battery down after about 6 seconds on trying to turn it over in the end i had to jump start it off the uno and still it didnt go after about 4 attempts evenutally it went and there was quite a loud clattering just as it fired, now its had the crankshaft pulley done about 2 mnths ago and thats all the work its had done in the last 2 years and we have had it for 4 yrs and all that has been done was the intercooler changed so im just asking is there anything we should look out for in the upcoming winter ??

thanks Guys

Ayden
85 ' 305 SRD estate - scrapped
92 ' Fiat uno speed machine - scrapped
00 ' Citroen synergie HDI "the beast" - still going. . . . just
94' cavalier
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The battery sounds like the problem. Modern batteries are capable of delivering enough current to start the engine until they have lost most of their capacity, but it takes a cold morning to show it. Jump starting will never be as efficient due to the voltage drop along the leads, so you wouldn't expect it to start as well. The 'clattering' would just be due to the build up of fuel in the engine while you were trying to start it. Only other check is to make sure your antifreeze is up to spec, change it if its been in for a couple of years or more.