Xantian Rear Brake Discs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bluey1978

Xantian Rear Brake Discs

Post by Bluey1978 »

Hi, One and All

Am in the process of replacing rear discs and pads - had intended to put new pads in but there appears to be enough wear to jusitfy renewing the discs aswell.

The problem I have is how is the disc fixed to the hub - according to the Haynes Manual it is held on with a securing screw - WRONG, there is not securing screw on the face of the disc, damn BOL.

Will renewal of the disc mean taking the assembly off with the bearings, the Haynes manual has no explosion picture of the hub, so I am totally in the dark.

Can anyone shed any light please!!!!!.

ALSO, Can anyone give me a pic or a very good indication as to where I can find the sensor that operates the Rev Counter as mine is playing up and I understand these are reknowned for playing up...

Thanx in anticipation.

Deano :-S
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

It would be useful to know the year and model, petrol or diesel . . .

//NiSk
Bluey1978

Post by Bluey1978 »

Its a 94 Xantia LX TD, Hatchback, good ol' oil burner.

Lovely runner 165k and sweet as a nut
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The brake discs are not really secured when the wheels are removed - as they are effectively held by the wheel bolts.
Securing screws are used only for holding the disc in place until the wheel is fitted with the bolts again. Otherwise it can be a rather annoying job to locate both the disc & wheel to mate the first wheel bolt ...

IF you are (re-) using any securing screws, then make sure the threads have a sparse smear of anti-seize paste. Then barely tighten at all !
If torqued they can make the disc fit out of true when the wheel bolts in turn are torqued. This can well be the reason they are missing from the last garage job.

The rear discs can only be removed if the complete brake caliper is removed. This is a rather frightening job as it is very easy to shear the caliper fixing bolts - leaving you with a nightmare of a DIY job.

BTW : It is very common that the discs have seized onto to the hub by rust - making you think its a solid part of the hub bearings - which it is NOT. If you have no experience in handling such a job, my best advice is to leave it for your trusted garage - or brake fitters. But shop around for an estimate on the job ...
Its a very common service job - not the most expensive on the car.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

IFAIR there's a torx head countersunk screw/bolt as per every other disc I've seen on a car with two chevrons on it!! Some previous owner from hell may have had some dodging and bodging that's making it more of a 'challenge'

- the whole lot's held by the wheel bolts anyway, you MAY have to find whatever the fastener is and drill it's head off to allow the disc's removal and the stump extracted...

Andrew
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Re: Xantian Rear Brake Discs

Post by Kowalski »

Bluey1978 wrote:Hi, One and All
The problem I have is how is the disc fixed to the hub - according to the Haynes Manual it is held on with a securing screw - WRONG, there is not securing screw on the face of the disc, damn BOL.

Will renewal of the disc mean taking the assembly off with the bearings, the Haynes manual has no explosion picture of the hub, so I am totally in the dark.
If you look at the hub face, you will see a locating stud, that is the screw that holds the rear disc on to a Xantia. A normal socket will be enough to remove it. Once you've got that out of the way (which should be easy, they're plated so the threads don't usually rust) the disc should just come off (possible after you belt it with a hammer a few times because its rusted itself on).

The hub doesn't need to be removed, it's integral with the wheel bearing which is a sealed for life style bearing.
Bluey1978

Post by Bluey1978 »

Sorry to be a pain, but how would a socket fit the locating pin as it is circular, would it be better to use a set of molegrips - with the jaws covered to prevent burring.

Thanx
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

When the pin left the factory, it had a hex (4mm or 5mm I can't remember) on the last few mm of its length, so you can get a very small socket on it.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Bluey1978 wrote:Sorry to be a pain, but how would a socket fit the locating pin as it is circular, would it be better to use a set of molegrips - with the jaws covered to prevent burring.

Thanx
You need a torx socket to fit the hole. Can't remember the size of hand.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Please note that some makes of brake discs are delivered with a spring pin - not threaded - but simply pressed into the disc. There is no reason to remove this as its only used for locating the wheel rim. It does not hold the disc to the hub.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Malcolm
My Cars:

Post by Malcolm »

Agree with Kowalski - a locating stud. I've just done same on my '98 Xantia est. I was expecting the usual cross head screw but it was the locating pin. It didn't take much to move it, can't remember if I used a small spanner or mole grips.
Malcolm
'98 Xantia Estate LX - RIP 13/08/16
'08 Renault Trafic 115dci