Smoky

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

skypilot

Smoky

Post by skypilot »

ZX TD. I have been experimenting with SVO in various ratios of veg to diesel. Lately I've been getting black smoke from the exhaust when the car's going up hills or accelerating hard in 3rd or 4th. No smoke when cruising at 55/60 in 5th. The back of the car has a film of soot. This is with a 50/50 mix. Better with less veg and more diesel?
Linegeist
My Cars:

Post by Linegeist »

Interestingly I've found the oppposite. My BX TZD black/grey smoked noticeably on hard acceleration (usually after after I'd been driving it like a geriatric zimmer pilot for a week or so) until I started running it on 50% rapeseed oil.

I noticed three things:
(1) The black smoke stopped completely after a few days!
(2) I no longer hear the turbo spooling up - I know it's still there because of the 'kick in the back' at about 2,500rpm ..... it's just quieter.
(3) The engine ran more smoothly and with less knock.

I understand Vegoil has a cleaning effect - it can also attack fuel lines apparently :shock:. Perhaps internal carbon's being loosened and burnt off? Assuming the obvious things like a clean air filter, have you tried taking the car down the bypass and allowing the engine to rev out in, say, third gear for a few minutes?

As for my turbo - I have a theory that the exhaust pulses are less 'robust' when burning rapeseed oil because it burns a little slower than standard Derv, so the turbo's operating in a more 'relaxed' mode. Same for the smoother engine note...........
Regards
Bob