Height Adjustment

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mezuk04
My Cars:

Height Adjustment

Post by mezuk04 »

As some will be aware from previous posts regarding the height on the Xantia a bit back we pretty much came to the conclusion that it was riding to high on the settings by about 20mm ...... out of interest exactly what is involved and how big a job is it to adjust the height DIY style as the old HBOL's just refers to going to a Citroen Monkey Garage.

As if i can get this done i shall hopefully have a better idea of how the car should float which it does now but apparently with it being 20mm ish higher it could be more floaty.

Regards
Chris
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

This is how I did my Xantia estate. I put the rear of the car on ramps. I worked on the assumption that the correct height is approximately mid-way between high and low. I got a wooden lathe and after putting a small mark a couple of inches above the rear wheel arch, I then put the suspension on high. I marked the lathe at the same height as the body mark. I then did the same at the lowest height. Between the two marks on the lathe, I marked the mid-point and compared it with the mark on the body. With my car, the suspension was too low, so I jacked up under the towbar until the body mark and the lathe mark corresponded. Then I started the engine, got underneath and undid the clamp. The clamp moved round the roll bar to the correct position. After tightening the clamp, the jack was removed and the measurement checked. Just to make sure I then checked the measurement (420mm +/- 5mm) from underside of chassis to ground. It's much easier to do than describe.
user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Post by user_3150 »

It is an easy job as John says. All you need to do (as you already know how much higher you want to go) is put the end you are working on up on ramp's. Then whilst on ramps in normal setting and engine running mesure from a point on the wheel arch to a point on the ground. Then undo the clamp around the anti-roll bar and grab the clamp and twist it around the anti-roll bar (there is a bit of resistance) all of a sudden the car will start to rise. If you turn it too far it will shoot up and keep going so do it little by little. I don't think you can make it go down (correct me if I'm wrong) so if you go too far leave the clamp loose drop suspension to low then to normal (the end you are working on will stay low then start again. It's an easy and rewarding job. Good Luck.

What I do first though is when on ramp's put car on lowest setting and get underneath so if it does drop suddenly you know how far under you can be without it hitting you.
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Well as usual.. I wound up doing the job. I didnt measure from the bottom of the chasis to the floor, as I wasnt sure where the bottom of the chasis was (bottom of sill, bottom of car, or bottom of jacking points under car), But, have "lowered" the car a bit, It looks "correct" and is a hell of a lot more comfortable to be in. The rear arch is now in line with the top of the tyre (was about 20mm above the tyre before) and the front arch is about 20 mm above the tyre, (where it was about 40-50 mm before). The car "looks" as if it sits better now, and the ride is less rigid. Its a very easy job, the clamps moved rather easily, and moving them one way makes the car rise, moving them the other makes it sink, so it will go either way.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

"Well as usual.. I wound up doing the job"

Cheek of it....without me you would still be bored! And anytime you need a bridge drawn i'm there for ya matey
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(