petrol in xantia hdi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

robertrdt

petrol in xantia hdi

Post by robertrdt »

can anyone help?My wife has put petrol in my diesel car,does anyone know how to drain the tank on my xantia hdi. :evil:
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Just befor you dismatle half of the car: exactly how much petrol did you put in the tank? Can you fill´er up with diesel?

If you get a 10% mix, its OK. If you cannot get a 10% or lower mix, then I would reccomend that you syphon the petrol out. It is the easiest way. Did she turn the ignition on and drive away with the car?

You can access the diesel low pressure pump in the tank by taking out the rear seats.

If you have got pure petrol right to the engine compartment, one ideia is to disconnect the low pressure tube and make the pump work untill all petrol is out.

It all depends to how far the petrol has travelled and how pure it is (e.g. how much diesel is mixed with it)
Xantia Activa 2.0 HDi (1999)
Renault Clio 1.9D (1994)
BX 16TRS (1984) - RIP
Fiat Uno 45s (1987) - RIP
robertrdt

Post by robertrdt »

she didnt drive the car, thankfully.She realised what she did and phoned me before she did anymore damage.Does this make the job of removing the petrol easier?
rotodiesel

Post by rotodiesel »

If you are familiar with the pipework on this car, you can use the electric low pressure pump in-situ to empty the tank if you bypass the pump relay. If there's more that a little petrol in there, be very careful - no sparks for instance.

If the mixture in your tank does not exceed 10% I would agree that damage is unlikely, but I would also add 2% self-mixing 2 stroke oil to the tank to maintain lubricity.

rotodiesel.
robertrdt

Post by robertrdt »

ive just been informed that there is around 25 litres of unleaded in the tank :shock:
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Once you get a bit of room in the tank, add some cheap cooking oil from your local shop to make the petrol less volatile, a diesel engine will run on almost any oil based fuel.. You just need to lower the octane level of the fuel mix down to near normal diesel levels, and the quickest, easiest way is to add oil to it.... :?

The fuel you drain off should be ok to use in a Petrol engine.. May smoke a bit though if you had a lot of diesel in when your wife filled it up.. :roll: :D
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
robertrdt

Post by robertrdt »

cheers to you all for the advice!I`m not einstein when it comes to citroens,i`ve only had this car for 5 months, so i`m a beginner so to speak.I`ll check out the suggestions and let you know how i get on
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

In the instruction book for my newly acquired '97 SEAT Toledo TDi it states that it is safe to run with up to 30% petrol in the diesel fuel - not that they recommend it - but it apparently doesn't do that much harm (VAG 1.9 TDi engine). Take it for what its worth.

//NiSk
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Hmm,

I can't believe all the people here that are willing to risk a certain percentage of petrol in the diesel - especially with an HDI. Why take a possibly expensive risk ?

There is no way to tell whether they have mixed together or not (will diesel and petrol even mix ? or will one float on top of the other ?) or what damage might be done.

If it was my car I'd be doing everything possible to syphon the tank and chuck away the mixed fuel. (Or use the built in fuel pump to pump it out of the tank if the fuel line is easy to disconnect from the engine and the tank wont syphon...)

Whats more important to you ? The cost of the lost fuel or the well being of the engine ?

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

I agree.... what is the cost of an injector pump on an HDi (they don't like petrol). DRAIN EVERY LAST DROP and keep your engine safe.
Sutton Coldfield, West Mids
Xantia V6 Exclusive (2000
Xantia 1.9TD SX (2000)
Previously owned
Xantia V6 Exclusive (97)
XM V6 Exclusive (95)
AX 1.4
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Mandrake wrote:Hmm,

I can't believe all the people here that are willing to risk a certain percentage of petrol in the diesel - especially with an HDI. Why take a possibly expensive risk ?

There is no way to tell whether they have mixed together or not (will diesel and petrol even mix ? or will one float on top of the other ?) or what damage might be done.

If it was my car I'd be doing everything possible to syphon the tank and chuck away the mixed fuel. (Or use the built in fuel pump to pump it out of the tank if the fuel line is easy to disconnect from the engine and the tank wont syphon...)

Whats more important to you ? The cost of the lost fuel or the well being of the engine ?

Regards,
Simon
It will mix, Simon, but I agree totally - why not just drain the lot (I wonder if it is OK to run the pump as suggested? I would not risk even that). The engine will only get one chance!
Mike in West Yorks
1982 GSA Pallas
1982 Dyane
1997 ZX Dimension
robertrdt

Post by robertrdt »

thanks again for all the advice,i`ve decided to let the mechanics sort this one out.I dont want to do any damage to the hdi engine,i`ve heard that they are very expensive to fix if things go wrong......cheers
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Fine, but how can you tell that they are not going to do any damage that may not appear immediately?

Draining the fuel is really no more rocket science than draining your bath! :o
Mike in West Yorks
1982 GSA Pallas
1982 Dyane
1997 ZX Dimension