Top 10 Xantia check list.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stuart McB
My Cars:

Top 10 Xantia check list.

Post by Stuart McB »

Ok then, the wife has commented that the Mazda although a lovely drive is a little on the small side when loaded up and I'm in the passenger seat with baby in the back. Now I'm kean to get a nice Xantia but..... have never have a Citroen with the fluid suspension so I dont know what to look out for. Ok so I'm up to speed on the usual stuff like body rot (not that there's much of it about these days) worn seats, tyres, dash lights, heater matrix problems, etc. Have looked at an estate 1.9TD LX today at £1495 with tax and test till July 06, one owner, service history with cam belt at 78k & showing 98k on the clock. Any how looked under the bonnet and couldn't see any fluid in the sight glass???? is this good or bad. I just need a list of say 10 things to look out for in simple terms. Oh and by the way the drivers seat looked as though it had coverd more than 98k as it was knackered.

Also the wife will be driving it mainly for the first 6 to 12 months so which to by petrol or diesel? (milage will be about 8K tops) what size engine? and can you get a new style pram in the boot of the hatchback? I think an estate will be to much.

I think that should do for time being, thanks in advance :)
The wifes got a C4 I've got a ZX TD SX!!!!
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

That price is a bit over the top. Also the seat shouldn't look as bad as it does at the mileage. I've just sold my 2.1 with 92K on it and the seat looks as new. You won't see any LHM in the glass dome. You should see a float - maybe a red top hat with a gold rim floating between two red lines. Pull off the rubber filler cap and see if the fluid is a bright green. If its brown, the car has been neglected. Also look in the coolant header tank. Brown scummy water also shows neglect. If you're inclined to have a test drive, with the engine running, sit on the front end. The car will sink - keep sitting and wait for it to regain a normal height. Do the same at the rear.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Get the owner to change the glow plugs/spark plugs......as that furthest left glow plug behind the fuel housing, well its been about a 4 and a half hour job and we snapped something off
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Been there done that, ZX TD couple of years back. Took two gallon of coffee and a swear jar the size of mount Everrest to replace.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

I'd say get an LX or SX which has the comfy hydraulic suspension but its simple. No Hydractive bits to worry about. Get one with the basic hydraulics and it'll be easier to manage.

Also, get one with aircon.

cheers,
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
reddeathdrinker

Post by reddeathdrinker »

Bouncy corners. Sure sign the spheres need replaced.
Excessive "ticking" from the pressure regulator (front of engine block). Front sphere needs replacing.
Any negative camber on rear wheels. Suspension arm mount bearings (hard job)
Make sure all electrics work
Make sure the spare wheel will come of (tends to rust in place)
Other than that, pretty solid, reliable cars.....
'96 Xantia 2.0i 16v SX Estate
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Thanks for the tips guys. Been and had a look at a 1.8 16Valve, 97 'R' reg this morning. £995 on the screen, hatchback. 87K on the clock, dark blue, 3 previous owners with service history. Recent service with nice clean oil and the LHM was very, very green. Suspension went up and down etc. Again it all worked but the drivers eat was again well worn sujesting more milage then displayed. Saying that the odometer seemed not to have been tamperd with. Oh and another thing, it was nice and dry in side with a good A/C blower.

Down side the wife was with me and said while the sales man was with me "it ain't no Vauxhall Vectra or Renault Laguna!" this spured the sale man on to his Reno Laguna Estae 1.8 blahdy blah. After 20 mins I'd lost the will to live.

Still looking for the one for me. Mind the wife is starting to come around so the Mazda could be in the Auto trader soon, unless anyone here would like info and pickies, looking for about £2350 or sensible offers. PM my if interested.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Thanks for the tips guys. Been and had a look at a 1.8 16Valve, 97 'R' reg this morning. £995 on the screen, hatchback. 87K on the clock, dark blue, 3 previous owners with service history. Recent service with nice clean oil and the LHM was very, very green. Suspension went up and down etc. Again it all worked but the drivers eat was again well worn sujesting more milage then displayed. Saying that the odometer seemed not to have been tamperd with. Oh and another thing, it was nice and dry in side with a good A/C blower.

Down side the wife was with me and said while the sales man was with me "it ain't no Vauxhall Vectra or Renault Laguna!" this spured the sale man on to his Reno Laguna Estae 1.8 blahdy blah. After 20 mins I'd lost the will to live.

Still looking for the one for me. Mind the wife is starting to come around so the Mazda could be in the Auto trader soon, unless anyone here would like info and pickies, looking for about £2350 or sensible offers. PM my if interested.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Oh bu**er 3 time the same post. If the mods could delet two off please.
Jshodgson
My Cars:

Post by Jshodgson »

Stuart

my Xantia has a knackared seat. Don't worry too much, I've seen plenty like it and when you're in it you can't see a thing!

I think it has been said on this forum before that it is only the diesel Xantia's that are worth a look.

I would get the glow plugs changed before buying
Idle the car and lsten carefully for the "ticking" noise, any more than once every 30 seconds and you'll need to consider sphere changes (£20 each DIY but much much more ata Citroen garage!)

I think you get a lot of car for your money second hand. I have had one that cost £550 with 125,000 miles and has now done 140,000 and only cost me a set of plugs, 2 spheres, 4 tyres and a set of indicator bulbs! Not bad I'd say. It still gives 37-40 MPG.

Good luck
Had (Saxo VTR 1999 (T) LPG converted - do not ask!!!)
Had (Xantia LX TD 1995 (M) 144,000 miles)
Had (Xantia TD Estate (N) 147,000 miles !)
NOW GOT Picasso 2.0HDi (02) 96,000 miles
Jshodgson
My Cars:

Post by Jshodgson »

Stuart

my Xantia has a knackared seat. Don't worry too much, I've seen plenty like it and when you're in it you can't see a thing!

I think it has been said on this forum before that it is only the diesel Xantia's that are worth a look.

Idle the car and lsten carefully for the "ticking" noise, any more than once every 30 seconds and you'll need to consider sphere changes (£20 each DIY but much much more ata Citroen garage!)

I think you get a lot of car for your money second hand. I have had one that cost £550 with 125,000 miles and has now done 140,000 and only cost me a set of plugs, 2 spheres, 4 tyres and a set of indicator bulbs! Not bad I'd say. It still gives 37-40 MPG.

Good luck
Jshodgson
My Cars:

Post by Jshodgson »

Stuart

Good luck
Jshodgson
My Cars:

Post by Jshodgson »

Stuart

Good luck
Jshodgson
My Cars:

Post by Jshodgson »

Stuart

Good luck