Xantia TD Timing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Xantia TD Timing

Post by RichardW »

Had the cambelt changed on the Xantia a few weeks back (just couldn't face it!). Since then it seems to start more easily, sounds quieter, and seems to be retruning more MPG, but.... it seems down on power at the top end - relutanct to pick up again at 2000 rpm on the mway, and last night coming up a big hill new my parents' house I had to change down as it just died in 5th, and it only just held its own in 4th, whereas I'm sure it used to pull 5th all the way. Checked that the throttle cable doesn't need adjusting, so barring a brake dragging, I'm wondering if the cambelt is a tooth out on the injection pump? Thoughts?
Richard W
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds as though the pump timing is retarded although that usually makes starting more difficult but it will make it quiet. Ususally one tooth out is enough to make it difficult to start and will also make it down on power. But the symptoms dont really add up, the only thing you can do is check it.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Might be loads simpler! Is the pipe communicating boost pressure to the extra fuel part of the injection pump still attached and sound? Are all the air inlet pipes after the turbo properly fitted?

Most likely the pipe to the injection pump - it may have split or simply fallen off!
jeremy
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

Check the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler. I found that removing one of the pipes makes getting the cambelt covers off a lot easier.

Unfortunately, getting the pipe to go fully back on the turbo so the jubilee clip can actually hold it on is rather difficult. It seems there is a point where it feels like it's home, and a point where it IS home. If it's not quite right, then it could be leaking boost pressure.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Thanks, I had forgotten about that. If the engine is quiet its more likely the small pipe that goes to the pump that has come off, if the turbo pipes come adrift. you would probably hear it, I did on mine anyway. Listen out for a 'whooshing' noise at full throttle.

I'd forgotten about that! Its more likely to be the small pipe that goes to the pump, if one of the air feed pipes had come adrift I think you would hear it, I did with mine. Listen for a 'whooshing' noise at full throttle.
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

My turbo pipe shook itself loose twice before I realised it would push further home and stay put.

The only give away that anything was amiss was the extra whistle of the turbo when cold. And, of course, the power loss.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Sorry! I dont know what happened there.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Thanks for the thoughts chaps. On reflection, I'm sure it's not a timing problem, as it runs well, except for the loss of oomph when high boost is demanded. I had a good look/feel around the engine, but couldn't feel any leaks even when revving it hard (but this of course only produces limited boost with no engine load. It seems that this car has a different turbo / pipes to my previous one, and the outlet pipe from the turbo is bolted on - perhaps the seal has gone awry. However, by the time I got home last night, I was starting to wonder if it had improved again - perhaps the waste gate was sticking (my fault probably for driving it gently to save diesel!) - will need to do some performance tests to see...
Richard W