MOT failure - CV boots :(

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

I've had my tea and toast, the weather's not looking too bad so I'm off to get this job done. Wish me luck! :D

P.S.: don't you hate the way Haynes tells you to replace every nut, bolt, washer and circlip you remove :P
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

:twisted: :twisted: :evil: :x :(

I don't think there's a single 36mm socket in all of Bedfordshire! I didn't even get as far as getting the hub nut off :( :( :cry:

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and book it in somewhere :x :cry:
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

[quote="batwad"]:twisted: :twisted: :evil: :x :(

I don't think there's a single 36mm socket in all of Bedfordshire! I didn't even get as far as getting the hub nut off :( :( :cry:

quote]

And even with the correct socket, you need a hell of a lot of leverage to shift it!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

havent you got a loal branch of lucas,if they aint got one they should be able to get you one in the next working day
regards malcolm
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

Well, you're not going to believe this! Dropped the car off at the garage yesterday (the same one that did the MOT) and told them to change the gaiters and re-test. I got a phonecall later in the day from a rather confused mechanic.

The guy couldn't find a split in either of the gaiters :shock: Now this was something I wondered when I had the car up at the weekend; the gaiters certainly had grease in the creases but I couldn't find any splits :? So the mechanic concluded that the chap who did the MOT was getting lazy as it was 4:30pm on a Friday afternoon, saw the grease and assumed they were split without checking closely :shock: :?

They apologised and issued a clean MOT pass :D

I don't know how I should be feeling: angry that they got it wrong in the first place or happy that they admitted their mistake and didn't charge me for it. :? :)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Nice one :)

Mind you, if they're weeping, then they're on their way out and should be replaced anyway soon (I've got one like that to do on our ZX).

It's a 35mm socket you need actually :wink: ....not that it will be any easier to find one!
Richard W
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I bought my socket from an agricultural shop - you know, the sort that sells anything from wellies and disinfectant to rope and dogfood.
Come to think of it, I lent it to someone and haven't had it back...
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

I bought my 36mm socket from our local motor factors. They had a selection of impact sockets that are larger than your average socket. Cost me about a fiver. I also have a long 2 and a half foot crack off bar to use with it, works a treat.