Safety First.....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mezuk04
My Cars:

Safety First.....

Post by mezuk04 »

Is it quite safe to have the Xantia front on ramps and then set it to minimum height and then lay underneath to do a bit of greasing and inspection, and similarly the rear aswell, without the fear of being crushed.

Ive decided to have a bit more of a hands on approach with the car and have a scout about, ive also bought a 275piece tool box, dont know what 270 of them are but they look pretty and very clean

Regards
Chris
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Providing it's secure on the ramps, and you can get under it, it's not coming down any further so no problems. You can happily work on it on high on ramps, as long as you are sure if it does decide to come down the car will be 1" above your nose, rather than 1" under it :evil:
Richard W
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Safety First.....

Post by Mandrake »

mezuk04 wrote:Is it quite safe to have the Xantia front on ramps and then set it to minimum height and then lay underneath to do a bit of greasing and inspection, and similarly the rear aswell, without the fear of being crushed.

Ive decided to have a bit more of a hands on approach with the car and have a scout about, ive also bought a 275piece tool box, dont know what 270 of them are but they look pretty and very clean

Regards
Chris
If you mean drive on steel ramps, then yes its safe provided there is enough room under the area you're working on even with the suspension set to right down - it can't go any lower than right down, so you won't get squashed.

Remember to block the wheels at the other end of the car as well, and for safety I always lie under the end of the car between the ramps, rather than lying in from the side - so even if the car did somehow roll off the ramps it is likely to roll past without touching you, rather than one of the wheels running over your stomach. :wink:

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
paulbx
My Cars:

handbrake

Post by paulbx »

Note also the handbrake operates on the Front wheels Not the usual rear!

Always choc the wheels that are on the ground, you may notice that the wheels may setlle on them a bit as suspension relaxes slightly.

There are on this site lots of good tips on stopping the ramps slipping - like putting carpet underneath
Broomie(paulB) Xantia Hdi 90 estate