BX overheating

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Just to add to the last two posts....

Anders, surely you have to remove the inlet manifold to get to the cylinder head bolts? You can get to the front ones, but the manifold gets in the way of the rear ones. I have to say once the intake manifold is off, I find it just as easy to leave the turbo and exhaust manifold in the car, and just remove the head.

And Malcolm, Surely after a skim there is no need to worry about having the valves sunk into the head. The piston/valve clearance on a normal engine is well over 50thou, and you're usually only removing 2-3thou from the head. In fact, the maximum you can remove from an XUD face is 20thou (ish) and this would still leave piston/valve clearance.

Plus, grinding the valves in (which is of course always recommended) will move them in by a thou or so.........
This is not a signature.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if your lucky you only have to have 2 to 3 thou removed,yes i know your just trying to avouid having to re/shim the vavles
regards malcolm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

fastandfurryous wrote:Anders, surely you have to remove the inlet manifold to get to the cylinder head bolts? You can get to the front ones, but the manifold gets in the way of the rear ones. I have to say once the intake manifold is off, I find it just as easy to leave the turbo and exhaust manifold in the car, and just remove the head.
Must admit I had the n/a in mind when writing that :oops:
I do remember that removing the intercooler leaves something very different in sight - from the n/a diesel.
It's soooo good to have an editing staff at live here :D
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It is possible to remove the head bolts with the inlet manifold in-situ on a BX TD - it just isn't easy! I had to use a combination of wobble bars, and universals to get them undone , and then wire the head bolts up to the manifold to keep them out of the way whilst the head was removed from the car. I would never have got the manifold off with the head in the car - the centre bolt just rounded out, and I had to remove the turbo and exhaust manifold and attack the bolt with a (large) pair of stilsons to shift it!
Richard W
freek
My Cars:

Post by freek »

As an owner of a bx trd turbo I can say that the head gasket symptoms can also show when your cilinder head is cracked. This is a very usual problem with older bx's of this type and caused by overheating of the engine due to clogged cooling canals in the head. These blockings develop when the coolant is not changed let's say every 2 years.
My advise is to have the head examined thorougly for cracks by an expert. Regards, Freek
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

these engines do show gasket probs with out the head beeing cracked,but freek is corect about having the head presure tested once you have removed it before you have any work done on it
regards malcolm
mak224751
My Cars:

BX Overheating

Post by mak224751 »

Hi done the checks to see if the Head Gasket has gone. There are no bubbles when the engine is revved but you do get some when the revs come off. Could this be a sign that it hasn't been bled properly.

Back flushed the radiator and yes it is very easy to remove. There was some cr*p in it but not that much. Haven't tried the thermostat yet probably a task for next weekend but it sounds like i am going to have to soak in WD40 for a week to free the studs.
1993 Xantia 1.9TD (Died)
1990 BX 17TZD Turbo
Peugot 406 HDi
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Soak the studs in either plusgas,diesel, or paraffin- much much better than WD40!!!

When I flushed my radiator out I didn't get any crap out of it, because I have always regularly changed the coolant, but what I did do this year, which I have never done before, was to give the OUTSIDE of the radiator a pressure washing- I was shocked at the anount of rubbish, dirt, dead bugs, and general detritus that was clogging up the fins.

It was amazing what came out and it took a few minutes to get it clean, and it has made a difference to temp gauge readings.