Aux belt length

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Aux belt length

Post by RichardW »

Started on changing the cambelt change on the Xantia (97 TD with A/C) this morning. Gave up when I couldn't get the big nut off the engine mount and it was by then raining (just as well, as it's tipping it down now!). Tried to fit the new aux belt supplied by GSF, but it's just too short. It says 1690, the invoice says 1700, the one I took off (which I think is a bit long) says 1710. Old one went back on no trouble, but the 1690 wasn't going near, even with SWMBO leaning on the spring tensioner. So what length's it supposed to be? Or was I just putting it on wrong - I had it round all the grooved pulleys and was trying to get it onto the manual tensioner last.

Moment of panic when the crank pulley bolt wouldn't go back in, but sorted that by gving it a really good clean.

I've decided someone else can skin their knuckles on the cambelt on this one - there are just too many pipes in the way :twisted:
Richard W
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Re: Aux belt length

Post by Kowalski »

RichardW wrote:Started on changing the cambelt change on the Xantia (97 TD with A/C) this morning. Gave up when I couldn't get the big nut off the engine mount and it was by then raining (just as well, as it's tipping it down now!). Tried to fit the new aux belt supplied by GSF, but it's just too short. It says 1690, the invoice says 1700, the one I took off (which I think is a bit long) says 1710. Old one went back on no trouble, but the 1690 wasn't going near, even with SWMBO leaning on the spring tensioner. So what length's it supposed to be? Or was I just putting it on wrong - I had it round all the grooved pulleys and was trying to get it onto the manual tensioner last.

Moment of panic when the crank pulley bolt wouldn't go back in, but sorted that by gving it a really good clean.

I've decided someone else can skin their knuckles on the cambelt on this one - there are just too many pipes in the way :twisted:
I've recently done mine, on a '97 Xantia with air-con too and I'll agree that it's no fun.

The big nut on the top of the engine mount came off with an adjustable spanner, I had to borrow my Dad's big one and it was only just big enough, I think its 35mm from memory so if you've got a socket to do the front hub nuts it might be the same size.

The next problem I ran into was that the covers are a pain to get off, to get the top front cover off. I had to remove one of the three studs that are part of the engine mount because of the hydraulic pump bracket and even then it took a bit of flexing and force to get it off. The top back cover has a bolt down the back (which was missing on both of my two) which is obstructed by the turbo pipes, if you take those two off it makes things easier.

I didn't replace the auxiliary belt on mine either, because Euro Car Parts didn't have the belt in stock and couldn't give me a date on when they would, but I'll have to do it at some point. There are two different tensioner setups for the air-con setup, and 2 for the non-air con, so there are possibly 4 different lengths of belt just to keep you confused. I'm going to have to find out the correct length of belt at some point but if you work it out, let me know!
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

It seems that you can't go by what the parts lists say. My 2.1 is listed as needing a 1725, but I always have to get 1738 to stand any chance of getting it on.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Looks like the belt length is 'what ever fits then'.....

I'm no stranger to changing the cam belts, having done 3 before. This one however, is a VSX as well, so the suspension computer occupies all the space in front of the alternator pulley, and I REALLY wasn't all that enthusastic before I started. Even less so after 1 hour when it started raining. For 100 quid or so, someone else can take the aggro this time :twisted:
Richard W
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Aux belt length

Post by Mandrake »

RichardW wrote:Started on changing the cambelt change on the Xantia (97 TD with A/C) this morning. Gave up when I couldn't get the big nut off the engine mount and it was by then raining (just as well, as it's tipping it down now!). Tried to fit the new aux belt supplied by GSF, but it's just too short. It says 1690, the invoice says 1700, the one I took off (which I think is a bit long) says 1710. Old one went back on no trouble, but the 1690 wasn't going near, even with SWMBO leaning on the spring tensioner. So what length's it supposed to be? Or was I just putting it on wrong - I had it round all the grooved pulleys and was trying to get it onto the manual tensioner last.
I don't know about the TD but when we had the Aux belt off on Dad's 2 litre 8 valve petrol (with aircon) it was a 2 hour job getting it back on again - just figuring out which way to thread it!!!

There are at least 6 different ways I found to thread the belt (such that the teeth correctly face the pulleys and the flat side faces the idlers) and the 5 wrong ways resulted in a belt that seemed a bit too short or a bit too long, and the Haynes manual was NO HELP at all - NONE of the diagrams were even remotely correct for that engine. :evil:

In the end I just sat down with a big piece of paper and drew every possible combination of threading that was feasable and tried them all until I found the right one :cry:

Of course, if you could actually SEE down the side properly it wouldn't be so difficult.

Now both our cars need the timing belt doing which means Aux belt off and on again as well.... gee, I can hardly wait... :x

Good luck. :)

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
johnway
My Cars:

Post by johnway »

Hello,
2 tips on auxillary belts - draw a diagram of the pulley/belt configuaration before stripping down, buy a genuine Citroen replacement (I know they cost more than aftermarket but you will be sure to get the right one - depends on A/C compressor type fitted) - and, it will not squeal as I have had experience of with after market belts.
Hope this helps,
Regards,
John.
My chariots : 2002 Pug 406 110 HDI Executive Estate 138K
1995 Citroen AX 1.0 Debut 26K
I Blame it all on my Dad!! (Sadly had to give up driving & his 2nd BX) but Mum still has a C1.
johnway
My Cars:

Auxillary Belt tip

Post by johnway »

Hello,
Just thought of another tip when replacing these - slacken off the tensioner, replace the belt leaving the top pulley till last - get the belt just started on this at the back then with a large screwdriver or lever, turn the pulley towards you using the conveniently located holes in the pulley - you will find that the belt slips into place quite easily (remember you are turning the engine over so make sure it is out of gear first!!) Good Luck!!
Regards,
John.
My chariots : 2002 Pug 406 110 HDI Executive Estate 138K
1995 Citroen AX 1.0 Debut 26K
I Blame it all on my Dad!! (Sadly had to give up driving & his 2nd BX) but Mum still has a C1.