BX doseur valve

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

BX doseur valve

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Are all BX doseurs the same? I think mine needs overhauling as the brakes are poor and I have a spare from my 87 GTI (non ABS) will it fit my 93 TZD with ABS?
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
paulbx
My Cars:

BX19TD

Post by paulbx »

You actually ahve a Turbo D 1.9 BX - much deabte raged on these...Most folk thought they did not exist..
Broomie(paulB) Xantia Hdi 90 estate
sleepy0905

Post by sleepy0905 »

stewart the early ones were 2 port and the later have 3 a 2 port has a bleed nipple the 3 doesnt they are very easy to overhaul I have done mine and it was only about a fiver for the seals make sure you clean everything and blow it all through with compressed air just make sure you lay everything out exactly as it comes apart. I will have a dig as i have the info on stripping and rebuilding them somewheree if you need it you have to be carefull not to kink the teflon seal. I have put the info on here.
http://photobucket.com/albums/b227/sleepy0905/?sc=1

you can use the 2 valve on a later car you just take the bleed nipple out and connect the pipes exactly the same as on your old one.
Last edited by sleepy0905 on 07 Oct 2005, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Paul, I dont know whether they really exist, a few months ago I was following a BX on the A55 and it was badged something like a TXD 1.9 turbo, it was a very late BX so perhaps it was genuine, mines a TZD which came with a 1769TD lump in it, I fitted the 1905 engine myself, The car is featured on the BX club site.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i have worked on quite a few 1.9TD BXs,i can cofirme they do exist,on the other hand i allways thought citroen never made a 1.8 BX as all of the BXs i have ever worked on have only been 1.7 and 1.9,back to the original post the usual fault that dozer valves show is the BX sindrom rear on the ground when parked,as the rear suspention returns through the dozer valve,if your brakes are not very good it is more likly to be air in the system,which could be your acumalater sphere has dumped its gas into the system
regards malcolm
BernieLugg
My Cars:

Post by BernieLugg »

Ah the 1.8 Mystery.

the 1769 engine was badged a 1.7 in the Citroens and a 1.8 in the Pugs.

Same engine - different badge!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

cit did call it the 1.8 in C15s
regards malcolm
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I can't recall who said it but in an earlier posting on Dozeurs they said that nearly all of the 'faulty' ones that have been changed are actually perfectly good!!
I'm not afraid to admit that I have changed a perfectly good dozeur for a new one as well....... :oops: !!!
Stewart, when you say the brakes are not very good, in what way??
When my BX gave trouble with the brakes they were working fine, it was just a sort of delayed action and for a split second after putting my foot on the pedal nothing would happen, then they worked, only not quite as sharply as they used to. Is it like this??
I looked at the pads,iscs,and hoses which all looked o.k., bled the brakes, still no difference, and then bought a new dozeur- again no difference :x
In desperation more than anything I changed the discs and pads- problem cured!!!!! :D Just annoyed that I spent the money on a new dozeur....
The old discs had a bit of wear on them, not a huge amount, but my guess is that the wear rim was interfering with the pad operation for some reason.
Dozeurs are so simple its difficult to see what could go wrong with them- the amount of movement the valve piston makes is tiny and I can't see it creating much in the way of wear- only dirty LHM can have any affect on them one would think.
Mind you, I have now got a spare dozeur which I know works!!! And a spare brake nipple.....the one in the new dozeur that you don't use is the same size.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

It was me who said the doseur is unfairly blamed for all problems having had one changed on my TD - and found it made no difference at all. My problem was lack of pressure and it turned out to be the flow divider, which had been incorrectly assembled!

As BXbodger says its very simple and is really a tap - you do no pumping at all. The seals referred to in one of the above postings simply prevent it leaking from the pedal end and are NOT like the seals in a conventional master cylinder which of course is a pump.

The brakes can suffer from air or gas in the system. If it does the system can be regarded as 2 for practical purposes - the main part from which gas can be expelled by 'Citroebics' - raising and lowering the car fully a number of times, and the static limbs going to the individual brakes which need bleeding but shouldn't suffer from gas. (You can drain and change all the LHM except the fluid in the limbs without bleeding the brakes.) In fact one problem caused by gas in the limbs can be the slow release of the brakes!
jeremy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if people fit new pads when the discs have a rased lip on inner and out edges,untill the pads wear into the space between these lips your brakes wont feel like they are doing much,usualy it is air in the system causing low braking efort on hydaulic citroens,in which case you will find your pedel only works on the second presure,which is mostly locking up the brakes,unless you have ABS
regards malcolm