Kangaroo jumpin' BX needs taming

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

William Gibbs

Kangaroo jumpin' BX needs taming

Post by William Gibbs »

Hi,
Anyone out there have suggestions on stuttering Citroen BX engines? After driving up a steep slope the motor in my petrol BX 1.8 Saloon ( 1991 ) suffers from wild kangaroo-type jumping, suggesting a petrol feed problem. I had a re-conditioned engine fitted to to the car after the original engine seized as a result of this same fault. Despite the replacement engine ( which included a new carburetor but not the petrol pump ) the fault has continued. The symptoms come and go seemingly arbitrarily, making it hard to diagnose via a garage.
Thanks,
William ( MADRID )
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the most common fault on petrol BXs was the auto choke being wrongly set up,when it is stone cold and engine off the choke butterfly should be slightly open so not to stangle the intake,another fault is if the crack breather is blocked it can cause mousture droplets on the underside of the rubber cover from the air filter to carb,which drop into the emultion tubes in the car
regards malcolm
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

When you say jumping, do you mean intermittent over-revving, or cutting in and out? Could you describe it a little more exactly, please?
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

Check the fuel filter. If dirty/clogged, change. If not, remove and blow all the carb nozzles clean.
I had to change fuel filter 3x within 4 days lately - collateral damage caused by oil prices rising and DEA fuel station diluting the petrol with unknown gunk to keep their prices for a few days more.
This is the end of my relationship with them[}:)]