C6 - photo and discussion

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

406 V6
My Cars:

C6 - photo and discussion

Post by 406 V6 »

Allright guys, i sat today on the new C6[:D], as part of the celebration of the DS jubilee around here (free lunch at Citroën is also very good![:D]).
Fity years later, Great-great-great grandfather meets his new grandson:
I found the leather seats a bit on the hard side, but this unit still only has 50kms.
It's full of gadgets, including a button on the central arm rest of the back seat for moving fro and after the passengers front seat![:P]. The holographic projection display isn't very readable in the day time, but it must be excelent at night. The display fascia is superb, fully digital. With the igniton off, it's a simple black panel, but when it lights up...well, it's a different story[;)].
I only miss the button i have on the C5 boot for lowering or raising the rear suspension. On the other hand, who will want to haul heavy items in a 75.000 euro car (you read that right, that's Seventy Five Thousand Euro and some cents for the V6 HDI)?
I would like now to discuss an aspect relating to the suspension.
As can be seen from the following photo, the pipe feeding the front suspension spheres is massive, i would guess (as i didn't pay that much of attention [:(]) it to be some 7mm in diameter,and going from the sphere tope to the underside, it's basically a hydraulic pipe like the ones fitted to small Bobcats; plus, the connector on top has around 7 wires coming from it - does it control the electrovalves and, possibly, serves as a height sensor?. These large bore pipes, must come, taking the rear suspension example, from 2 additional spheres, each for each front suspension unit, acting like accumulators for delivering enough oil for corrections.
This of course, and from past experience, tells us that the car has some kind of Activa system.
On the inside, between the buttons for controling the suspension ihe famous "sports" button as seen on the HA system.
So, what can we conclude? That the car behaves like a "regular" HA3 system and when the sports button or the road conditions demand, the Activa function is put into service?
This seems to me the most likely. Also, the car has 2 height sensors per axle (my pictures aren't very good, i have to wait for the ones taken with a friends camera), which embodies even further this conclusion.
I'm open to more suggestions[:)]
Also, check this one for reference:
http://www.citroen-ds-id.com/index.html ... nsion.html
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

Its a gorgeous car. Both Autoexpress and the Daily Telegraph say it rides like nothing else on the road. You aren't going to be cornering like a BMW M5, but I imagine you could drive all day and be stress free (rather like driving any hydropneumatic Cit [:D] )
I'm waiting for a 2nd year of production 2 year old model HDI (bottom of range trim will do, looks like it will out-gadget the C5!)
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

As far as I know, the outer appearance of C6 is meant to resemble CX. Was it designed at home?
I mean, both the "flagship" following CX (XM) and the cars for general public (BX, Xantia) were designed by Bertone, "The designer of pizza boxes".
The new C6 design seems to be very un-Bertone. Does that mean that Citroen got rid of the designer (preferably for good)?
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Well I shall be going for free test drives in them when they come out over here...cant afford one like...but the dealer doesnt know heheheheehe
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bencowell</i>

Its a gorgeous car. Both Autoexpress and the Daily Telegraph say it rides like nothing else on the road. You aren't going to be cornering like a BMW M5, but I imagine you could drive all day and be stress free (rather like driving any hydropneumatic Cit [:D] )
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
What I want to know is have they ditched the McPherson struts at the front yet ?? The only way I can see that it would have better ride than the XM/Xantia/BX series is if they've ditched the McPherson struts and returned to some kind of double wishbone design at the front, ala DS, GS, CX.
I've seen pictures of the rear suspension of the C6 and it appears to be double wishbones instead of trailing arms, so there is at least a chance the front is also double wishbones.
If it is, then it is indeed a great day. Hydractive 3+ (presumably) *and* double wishbones would be a match made in heaven...[:D]
Whether such a design would trickle down into the new smaller models that real people can afford is another question...
Pity about the ugly grill and headlight design, as I do kinda like the overall profile of the car. (It's basically a clone of the CX profile if you ask me, which is no bad thing as apart from the Xantia the CX is my favourite body style Citroen)
Regards,
Simon
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

The C6 is supposed to use 407 style suspension, but with spheres and no springs!
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

You're right Ben.
The suspension scheme is the same as the one used on the 407. Notice on the pohotgraph that there is no hinging point for the strut as on a BX or C5.
I admit, i had never liked the car until today. It's just not photogenic! But it's a real Citroën, bold and with exclusive lines. The rear lights have better looks live than on the photos for instance.
The concave rear window is quite a little smart piece. You see, the rear of the C6 is very short, i dare to say even shorter than the C5, but due to the fact that the window is more forward at the centre than at the sides, it makes space for good access bootlid.
And speaking of boolid, it incorporates a spoiler, Porche style (presumably it rises with speed).
What do you think of the HA3+/Sc.CAR hypotesis?
BTW, i need to know something: where can i find the speed sensor on the C5? [crazy idea after seeing the C6)
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bencowell</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
To save others the legwork, here are URL's for the two articles:
Autoexpress (needs registration to read the full article):
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/previews/6 ... usive.html
Daily Telegraph:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/mai ... fcit17.xml
"The suspension mechanics are a development of the Peugeot 407's: front upper and lower wishbones with a multi-link rear system." Guess that answers that question. [:D]
Regards,
Simon