Xantia Air in LHM tank

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jeremy</i>

Thick hose running from reservoir to pump. Use decent hose clips on it. you will loose a hose full of air and LHM as well probably as some from pump. Loosen pressure relief (bleed) screw on regulator, Fit pump end first, the fill hose with LHM, start engine, keep filling hose and stuff on reservoir and tighten up, allow to idle for a few minutes to clear air then tighten pressure relief screw and car should rise.
Jeremy
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Not a good idea to run the engine with the hose disconnected trying to pour oil into it IMHO, and not necessary.
You won't be able to pour it in fast enough to keep up with the pump and consequently you'll just let more air in.
All you need to do is pour oil into both ends of the hose (since the hose follows the path of a U you can't just pour it in one end) connect it at both ends, and run it the engine with the bleed screw open. As long as MOST of the hose has oil in it, it should prime, and what air was left in the hose will be flushed out in only a minute or two of idling.
Regards,
Simon
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

first thing i would do is check fluid level properly,that is with car on level ground susp lever fully on high,run the engine till susp is fully up,untill it stops going up,then look at the yellow disc in the plastic dome on top of the tank,dont be mislead by the copper disc as all that dose is puts the light on when level is to low,now the yellow disc should bebetween the two red lines,if its nottop up with clean LHM in this case you might see the car rise a bit more,then check the lwevel again
regards malcolm
mark g
My Cars:

Post by mark g »

Hi
I successfully changed the pipe for garden hose and still got bubbles that did not stop. So I've reconnected the old pipe. (that clip at he bottom of the pipe to the pump as really odd, how do you undo/do it up it properly as there's not enough room for pliers to "crimp it" ?) I've used a Jubilee clip.
Anyway the bubbles seems to be coming out in the LHM reservoir through the smaller curved filter? Does that help Diagnose?
Could my fairly new accumulator be leaking?
I'd be grateful for any further ideas.
Thanks
Mark
mark g
My Cars:

Post by mark g »

Hi
As above, I have changed the Pipe and still get foaming LHM, useless brakes etc.
Anyone have any more ideas?
Thanks
Mark
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Does the connection between the pump body and the stub inlet pipe feel OK or is there a possibility its leaking there?
I take it you have done Citroebics many times to expel air from the system.
I think if you accumulator was leaking that fast it would have gone flat by now.
Jeremy
mark g
My Cars:

Post by mark g »

Hi
If the stub inlet pipe is the pipe that goes to the LHM tank then, yes the connection seems fine. It was a right pain to get off but now it is attached with the strange clip and a jubilee clip so I'm pretty sure it's okay.
Mark
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The original clips cannot be tightened fully without a special tool and are probably useable once only - certainly without a special tool. It is standard pratice to replace them with a jubilee type clip of the corect diameter. I mention the size as this is a case where it really does matter - as a clip that is too large will have a larger radius screw housing and will not sit snugly on the hose - and may not achieve a good seal.
Jeremy