Xantia broke my spanner.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by IanR</i>

Someone suggested that it might not do the clutch any good to have the car in-gear and use massive (backwards) force. Can anyone confirm/refute this?
Getting the starter off is no mean task on these engines either, don't think it's possible without stripping the intake manifold and injection electronics off.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
You hear a lot of stupid things from people that think they know it all. Thinking about it it what do you think is likely to break? I cant see that being an issue after all it is a big slab of metal designed to take a lot more than the engine can throw at it as not to fatigue in service. Looking at a clutch I dont see any difference between a positive torque and a negative torque.
Composite materials would show such a characteristic but not steel.
tfurness

Post by tfurness »

IanR, I have been there a few times even with a impact gun running at 170 psi.
If the engine can be got to run, run it until it is hot, thereby expanding the metal in the crankshaft and the pulley bolt, these are unlikely to expand at the same rate so it should give you a bit of an advantage. Heat also reduces the grip of tread lock, so if your going to replace the crankshaft oil seal, the a blow torch will improve your chances.
Make sure the engine is locked, stubborn bolts will not undo because you cannot get a "snap" on them due to slop in the gearbox.
After the engine is hot and locked properly, use a brass drift to give the head of the bolt a few good blows with a lump hammer, again this will loosen the grip of the treads.
Use a good long breaker bar and a tight fitting socket and it should undo.
If it wont, I have used the jamming a ring spanner and turning the starter method. It is pretty scary and should only be used as a last resort.
Good luck!
Oh and next time you see someone doing up a pulley bolt with windy gun. demonstrate your displeasure with a breaker bar.