Undergaurd saga

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Robin
My Cars:

Undergaurd saga

Post by Robin »

A further chapter in the undergaurd story that comes and goes on here. I finally got a new for my XM off eBay and fitted the same day. It was only a few miles down the road from me.
After a week of driving with it fitted, some observations. First is the remarkable difference to the noise level when idling. The diesel clatter is muffled wonderfully and when driving in built up areas the overall sound level is nicely down.
Temperature, we have had one of the hottest days this year and if anything the temperature gauge was slightly down on the normal when cruising.
MOT, needed one this week and the testing station put the comment on the advisory - 'not able to inspect due to complete cover under engine' - still got my test though and it passed clean through.
So my comment for what it's worth is - don't leave yours off, put it back and or get a new one!
Cheers all, Robin.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

So it was you that bought it! I am on my 4th 2.1 td estate and only the first one had the cover in situ and I agree, it does make quite a bit of difference to the noise level, it also keeps it clean, but its a lot easier to get at without it!
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Peter, sorry. I have been looking for a year and pleased to have found one before this winter.
They really are necessary, I just wish garages had a bit of conscience when putting the fastenings back, they would last a lot longer.
Take care and best wishes, Robin
P.s. are you local to Cambridgeshire?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

No problem, I wasn't looking to buy it, I just wondered who had. I was surprised to see it for sale!