starter motor

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

born2die
My Cars:

starter motor

Post by born2die »

How easy it to change the above as I have never really had to work on my own cars but some of the quotes were a tad excessive and there seem to be 2 different starter motors listed for the activa. Any help would be appreciated as I really need the car back on the road by the weekend.
Many Thanks
tris
MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

You don't say what's wrong, but are you quite sure it's dead? Can you hear the solenoid clicking? Is the earth strap from the engine OK? Battery terminals nice and tight?
I don't suppose you've tried the old whack-the blunt-end-with-a-lump-of-wood technique? It's surprising how often it works. They get gummed up with dust and stuff, and the shock clears them. Just don't crack the casing.
born2die
My Cars:

Post by born2die »

Sorry rac man came out yesterday and changed the battery terminals put the earth back on the starter moter (after zapping himself)and the solinoid is clicking but I havent tried the whack it and see method as I cant relly get a clear shot with all the gubbins in the way and it has been makiong a strange noise on startup recently like it was slipping so my guess is the same as the rac that the moror is dead but if I can get to it I will try the old hit it method
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If its a diesel I think all the starters are the same. You can get to the securing bolts from under the n/s front, they go through the gearbox bellhousing but you will need to get to the top to disconnect the wires. It would make it easier if you take the radiator but it is possible without if you dont mind struggling.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you try kloncking the starter mind you dont hit the solanoid,besides when it comes to such methodes usuly means brushes are knackerd
regards malcolm
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Before you take the motor off put a good heavy duty jump lead between the earth terminal and the starter motor directly. The earth cable at the gearbox end is only crimped and breaks down under starting load. All the normal tests, clicking solenoid etc is OK but motor won't turn properly. If the jump lead clears the problem then it is the earth lead at the gearbox end. Robin