Question about proper english (grammar)

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

que?
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

amavi here mane is the extent of my latin today... (I'm a wee hairy mannie in Scots:-)
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Supposed to say does it really matter so long as we can all understand one another, but then I speak Lanky and spell worse owing to the dreaded ITA of the 1970's. That'll be them teachers.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jeremy</i>

Its "Them" if you live in 'Ampshire!
Jeremy
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
At work here in the Forest of Dean, 'it' is often 'him' or 'her'. Reminds me of French actually! [:D]
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by martyhopkirk</i>

Procul terminus of dies adeo ut nos totus narro a oportet inhonestus of English quod nos can agnosco invicem does is verus res?
Excreta tauri cerebrum vincit, Marty. [:D]
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by martyhopkirk</i>

Supposed to say does it really matter so long as we can all understand one another<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
<b>That</b> is sometimes the problem, Marty. Despite the 'plain English' bit above, there have been posts that are that are totally unreadable - I then have to resort to CBA mode[?]. If I feel evil enough I will extract the urine - <i>cf</i> the post asking for a 'Gardner'.
[?] Can't be a**ed [}:)][:D]
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Then I suppose there is the problem of punctuation or lack of it for instance the sentance "What do you think I will cut your hair and give you a glass of beer" can have different meanings by the simple insertion of punctuation plus you wonder sometimes if people talk the way they type and perhaps dont come up for air and I suppose there are the POSTERS WHO SEEM TO BE SHOUTING ALL THE TIME when the caps lock key has been pressed no I know what you are saying Mike but there are a lot of people whos first language isnt English but sadly most of them seem to have been educated in England their language these days seems to be slang colloquial or even bleeding text speak
...,,,""??!,,! - (),..:-?.,,,,... (insert punctuation as appropriate)
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Punctuation? who needs punctuation!!
Jack Kerouac wrote 'On the road' more or less in one go on one continuous sheet of paper and with virtually no punctuation.
It can be considered to be VERY bad English, yet its a fine piece of 20th century American literature.
Its a nightmare read for any 'correct' grammar pedant but it draws you in, it flows, and you are there with him- correct punctuation would completely stifle its essence, it would be like putting tin springs on your BX......
born2die
My Cars:

Post by born2die »

For all those out there that cannot understand the new breed
A -Z of Chav English
---------------------
ASSA COMMONS - Our Parliament Building.
ART ATTACK - Extremely perturbed, as in "Don't tell Sharon, She'll have an
art attack."
ARST - Past tense of ask. "Jordan, I must've arst ya free fazzund times to clear up yer room."
BANNSA - A person employed to deny access or eject troublemakers at a club.
"Dave's got izself a job as a bannsa."
BANTY - A chocolate and coconut snack bar.
BAVE - To wash oneself.
BOAF - The two. "Oi Dave, ooja fancy most, Sharon or Tracy?" "Boaf" is the reply.
BRANSATCH - Motor racing circuit in Kent.
CANCEL - Administrative body of a town. "Darren, wive ad annuvva letter
from the cancel."
CANTAFIT - Fake, as in money.
CHOONA - An edible fish purchased in a tin and usually prepared with mayonnaise.
CORT A PANDA - A big hamburger (smaller than an arf panda)
DAN TO URF - Sensible, practical.
DANNING STREET - Where the Prime Minister lives.
DANSTEZ - On the ground floor , where the biggest telly is.
DREKKUN - Do you consider? as in "Which dog drekkun'll win the next race?"
EFTY - Considerable. "Ere, Trace, this credit card bill's a bit efty."
EJOG - A small, spiky animal (hedgehog).
ERZ - Belonging to her.
EVVY - A big geezer who protects a smaller and more intelligent geezer,
usually for money. "My name's Frank and this is my evvy, Knuckles."
EYEBROW - Cultured, intellectual.
FANTIN - A jet of water for drinking or ornament.
FARVA - A posh way of saying Dad.
FATCHA - Margaret, British Prime Minister 1979 - 1990.
FINGY - A person or object whose name doesn't come to mind. "I ad it off
wiv
fingy last night."
FONG - Skimpy undergarment.
FOR CRYIN AT LAAD - Mild expletive showing annoyance or surprise. E.G. "For
cryin at lad, Britney, if I say Yes will you give it a rest?"
GAWON - Go on. "Gawon Darren, eat ya granny's cabbage, it'll do yer good."
GIVE IT LARGE - To be thorough or enthusiastic.
GRAND - A football stadium. "It all wennoff atside the pub near the grand."
HAITCH - Letter of the alphabet between G and I.
IBEEFA - The Spanish holiday island.
IFFY - Dubious. "Ere, Trace, I fink this bread pudding you made last munf's
a bit iffy."
INT - Indirect suggestion. " I gave Darren a sort of int that
it was time to wash iz feet."
IPS - An unknown area of a woman's body to
which chocolate travels. "That Mars Bar will go straight to me ips." JA -
Do
you, did you. "Ja like me new airdo, Sharon."
JACKS - Five Pound note."Lend
us a jacks, wilya?"
JAFTA - Is it really necessary? "Oi mate, jafta keep doing that?"
KAF - Eating house open during the day.
KAFFY - A girl's name. LAD - Noisy. "Jordan, turn that music dan, it's too
lad."
LARJ - Enjoying oneself.
LEVVA - Material made from the skin of an animal.
LOTREE - Costs £1 for a ticket.
MA BLARCH - An arch near Hyde Park.
MAFFS - The study of numbers.
MANOR - Local area.
MINGER - An unattractive person (usually woman).
NARRA - Lacking breadth, with little margin. "Mum wannid to come rand but
changed er mind. That was a narra escape."
NARTAMEAN - Do you know what I mean? (sometimes used as janartamean).
NEEVA - Not one nor the other.
NES - National Elf Service.
OAF - A solemn declaration of truth or committment.
OLLADAY - Time taken away from home for rest and adventure.
ONNIST - Fair and just, without a lie. "I never did it, onnist."
OPPIT - Go away , as in "Oi you, oppit."
PADDA PUFF - Soft, lacking aggression. "They're alright up front but they
got a padda puff defence."
PACIFIC - Specific.
PAFFUL - Having much power or strength.
PAIPA - Sun, Mirror etc.
PANS AN ANNSIS - Imperial weight system.
PLAMMANS - A pub lunch usually made up of cheese and bread.
QUALIDEE - Good, as in "West 'Am's new striker's qualidee."
Spero is succurro ut EGO interdum nixor intellego nonnullus of stipes in is tabula quod alius EGO obsideo Born2die
:)
born2die
My Cars:

Post by born2die »

The standard of english is dropping so much these days that it really is getting impossible to understand. I mean when I was at school I had to study shakespere etc these days when it comes to GCSE's these days I am suprised if many students havent got past the level 1 reading guide judging by the recent fiasco in the amount of people passing at C+ grades. Gone are the days when you were marked down or your tests for bad english and grammer or could it be because they are now doing GCSE papers in text and chav speak.
using this translator http://www.lewis.x3fusion.com/cgi/chavelfish/
Gives a great response if forget to put any text in?
de standard ov english iz droppng so much vese dayz dat it really iz gettng impossible 2 undastand...y mean wen me waz at skool me had 2 study shaykspere etc vese dayz when it cumz to GxEz dese fukin dayz y am supryzd if bare studentz havnt got past da level 1 readng guide judgng by da recent fiasco n da amount ov ****z passng at C+ grayds...Gone r de dayz when u were marked down or ur testz 4 pikey english n gramma or could it be coz vey r now dong GxE papaz n text n chav fukin speak...
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">For all those out there that cannot understand the new breed
A -Z of Chav English
I don't know about it being a 'new breed' of speech- its more like Ealing comedy cheeky cockney talk, a'la 'The Lavander Hill Mob', or any villain in a Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce period Sherlock Holmes film!!!!!
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Whilst accepting that English is a living and constantly changing language, I see that as a need to introduce new words to fit new situations; not as an excuse to change the meaning of existing words. A prime example is the misuse of that fine old word "gay", it is unnecessary because there is already a word in existence that describes adequately a condition that is out of the ordinary or strange.
The sole purpose of language is, surely, to communicate unambiguously. By changing the rules of grammar, spelling and punctuation, you risk defeating that objective.
Having said all that, the sole criterion is to make oneself understood. There is a certain member of this forum who admits he's dyslexic and who, in the early days, suffered some scorn as a result of his spelling and punctuation. But if you take the trouble to read his posts he offers an enormous amount of experience and wisdom, he would be a real loss to the forum should he ever decide to "kick us into touch".
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">A -Z of Chav English<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
No wanting to appear rude, but i can only read this with an irish accent (and i'm not very good at accents, as i'm always blending scotish with irish accents).
Regarding punctuation, i must admit to sometimes spend some minutes trying to make sense of a post, when no visible punctuation is to be found.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> A prime example is the misuse of that fine old word "gay", <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I'm afraid its vernacular usage has changed again!!! Once it meant happy, then it was appropriated as a self descriptive word by the homosexual community, now it means something different again!!
To my children, it means naff, rubbish, useless- "Oh,Dad, your car is so gay...." They do not associate it at all with homosexuality or the May-fair!!!
Thats language evolution for you!!!
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

We're getting old reeeaaaly fast.... this from a 25y.o. "kid" (i admit, i feel old inside)