Diesel Fuel leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ross
My Cars:

Diesel Fuel leak

Post by Ross »

1994 Citroen vsx 1.9TD - nearly managed to do thirty miles in it since purchased but just been up the shop and I am leaking diesel from a split (rubber) pipe leading from the rear low part of the engine to the pump (i think its the pump ) - haven't even had time to buy a manual yet
It looks like its split on a bend on the pipe where it is clipped to the engine - is this a simple pipe repair or is there likely to be problems ie is the tank pressurised ? how do i bleed the system once done? is there any problems removing the pipework to the Turbo ? to increase access
Second post in two days
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Im fairly sure this pipe (if its above the alternator) isnt pressurised at all except when running - even then its not high pressure as you have the XUD9 not the HDi engine.
The pipe is secured with clips at either end and needs to be substituted with a new one, bleeding afterwards by means of the rubber bulb (if fitted which if its a 94 I think it should be).
The pump is the mucky silver thing on the top right of the engine as you stand looking at it, the filter is the black thing to its right with hex bolts holding the lid on.
Let me have a look at the ZX engine later and I will see if i can find the pipe you are refering to and photograph it.
I stand to be corrected on this and Im just working from memory - let me check, and see if anyone else gets back in the meantime Ross.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you have a length of copper pipe the right diamiter you could bend a curve init cut out split piece and fit copper repaire piece,once fitted just pump the rubber bulb in fuel line on top of o/s inner wing until it is firm,job done
regards malcolm
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Or even slide a piece of larger diameter plastic pipe over it. It sounds like the return pipe to the tank, oterwise it would suck air in instead of pushing fuel out.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I've had to replace that same pipe on my '94 Xantia, when it was leaking it gave me the worst mpg I've ever had, 35mpg.
There are two pipes that come from the tank, one is the suction pipe and the other is the return, they bends moulded into them and they tend to harden and crack on these bends.
The two pipes are molded together, the local Citroen dealer kept the pair in stock, and they only keep stuff in stock that they commonly need to replace.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

The rubber hose thats leaking the fuel, does it seem to go to the bulkhead on the drivers side? If so, there will be two hoses one for the return hose too. These do crack with age and is common on diesel citroens. Mine went on my Xantia Td, had to get one from Citroen, cost about £20, simple to replace.
Paul