Resetting Xsara ECU

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jochem
My Cars:

Resetting Xsara ECU

Post by jochem »

Hello,
Does anyone know how to reset the ECU on a Xsara 2.0 Hdi SX (W reg '00) without the diagnostic computer?
Thanks,
Jochem
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

As far as I know on the Mk1 it's a case of, battery off 10mins then battery on and start engine 4k on the revs for about 10 to 20 mins while driving and the ECU should (but dont quote me) re-set and have re-learnt its' new perameters. It's not going to be much more for the Mk2 I wouldn't think.
jochem
My Cars:

Post by jochem »

Thanks for that advice. Does this mean that the engine management light will also go off? The other morning, I started the car, and the first time it wouldn't start. The second time it started as normal, but the nasty light came on and remained on. I don't trust citroen garage to be able to fix it anymore, so I just want to extinguish the light until that particular glitch happens again.
Any thoughts?
Ta very much.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Presumably if the light has come on then there is a fault stored, and you should get it read to find out what caused the the no-start situation. It being a 2000 HDi, my money is on the low pressure fuel pump....
jochem
My Cars:

Post by jochem »

I'm sure the ECU thought there was a fault, but until the thing actually breaks down, I would like to reset the ECU light if possible......without giving away another £80 to Citroen!
One thread on here suggested that the light would go out after 20 starts.....is that right? I did try disconnecting the battery for a few hours, but the orange monster was still there!