Xantia rear sreen washer

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nomad
My Cars:

Xantia rear sreen washer

Post by Nomad »

Hi all
Ok i am getting water all the way on to the rear screen, but at very low pressure, it just dribbles on to screen.
The black plastic jet pipe thing, that sits under the wiper arm does not seem to be blocked, but should it be open from both ends, or should it be sealed at the top of the pipe. If my logic is correct i think it should be sealed at the top end, this should enable more pressure.
Could some of you Xantia owners have a quick look at your jet pipe thing and let me know if it is open ended or sealed.
Thanks guys
Tony
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Remove the hose from where it comes out of the rear arm and poke a paper clip into the hole. It will be clogged up.
If you can remove the part that is stuck to the arm, soak it in hot water with BiCard of soda in and the poke a wire into the hole at the end. The small holes always get blocked and a needle poked into the holes should clear them.
Paul
wotsupnow
My Cars:

Post by wotsupnow »

A while back mine was removed for me by a monkey at Knowsley safari park !( you could make a bomb there on a weekend, park up in the layby near the entrance selling wiper blades ) I ordered a new one from Lythgoe Citroen in Rochdale and after a 5day wait went to pick it up, the parts guy just gave it me ! no charge ! it was in a pack of two so they may still have one in stock.......
Anyway, I fitted it and tested and it's still not what you'd call a jet, more of a small river down the centre of the screen, probably due to the pump being at the front of the car. My Picasso was the same.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

I believe that the monkeys now do a full service on your car at Knowsley for a couple of kg's of banana's. They also have a large parts bin behind the large oak tree.
Paul
MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

My Xantia's always been a dribbler too. Not the greatest bit of design, and yes, I suppose it'll be because it's such a long way back to the pump at the front of the car. It sort of gets the job done, if you keep it going for long enough each time.
But then, it's not such a pain to manage with just a washless wipe anyway, and the Xantia's rear screen angle isn't particularly bad for collecting road gunk. I probably only use the washer about five times a year.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

You can always replace the anti return valve with a new one on the line to the back washer.
Paul
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MW</i>

My Xantia's always been a dribbler too. Not the greatest bit of design, and yes, I suppose it'll be because it's such a long way back to the pump at the front of the car. It sort of gets the job done, if you keep it going for long enough each time.
But then, it's not such a pain to manage with just a washless wipe anyway, and the Xantia's rear screen angle isn't particularly bad for collecting road gunk. I probably only use the washer about five times a year.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
My rear screen washer actually squirts out the side of the small cap on the shaft - it seems that there is plenty of pressure there, if I pull the cap off the shaft I get a squirt of water about 10 feet high [:D]
However with the cap on it is leaking all around the cap due to the steel knob on the end of the wiper shaft being partially rusted away - it no longer seals against a hard plastic cap.
Can anyone suggest a way of fixing that short of replacing the wiper shaft ? [V]
I found one of the main reasons for lack of pressure is the holes in the little black plastic piece mounted on the arm were blocked - the end one was completely blocked, so that I couldn't blow through it at all. After clearing them both out with a pin they are now unblocked, but I still have the leaky joint at the wiper shaft to figure out...
Regards,
Simon
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Can you re-make the end using a blob of body filler filed and drilled to shape?
Jeremy
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Or use heatshrink sleeving.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dnsey</i>

Or use heatshrink sleeving.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The problem with these ideas (I've tried them already) is that the water comes out a hole in the end of the shaft, but must then go around a tight corner inside the plastic cap, and come out a small hole in the side of the cap. Any kind of sleeving like this blocks the passage of water around this tight bend.
I'm thinking of replacing the cap entirely with a small piece of flexible tube...
Regards,
Simon
Nomad
My Cars:

Post by Nomad »

Up Date on this

Ok i had a bit of time today and remembered to look at this.
After removing the black plastic cap (one with the nozzel on it) i tested if water comes out of the hole in the wiper arm spinndel, it did, it shoots about 2 meters up into the air, so plenty of pressure there then.
I took the plactic cap into the house and had a good look at it. and decided to stick a big safty pin down the nozzle, in doing so it un blocked it. My rear screen washer now produces plenty of water to clean the screen.
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
I am sure that i will be back soon with another problem. so untill then Take Care.

Regards

Tony
Xantia 1.8i 8v Presige 1995 Left Hand Drive, 5 door hatchback