What car to get next?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

No problem Ian,
Got you home then :-) Happier about giving it some right foot now?
Im going off to look on e-bay now (dont tell anyone)
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Hi Matt. There's a bit of belt noise coming from somewhere so I'll have a look at that but yes, seems fine and sounds glorious as it approaches the red line!
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Hopefully the belt noise is nothing but im glad the car is to your saifaction. And yes, they do make a good noise :-)
xantiabreak96

Post by xantiabreak96 »

My Saab 9000 was a wonderfull car.... last seen with 167k on original engine and g/box. admitidly the MPG went from a decent 32 down to 28 over the years, but I have never driven anything that gave such a feeling of comfort power and saftey.Ergonomically brilliant..best seats ever fitted to 4 wheels....
My other half has never forgiven me for parting with it...but it was becoming expensive to run and the need of and estate car took preceedence.
Spares obtained from places such as GSF are reasonable and despite what some may say they are not too trickey to work on....how many xantia owners wish the could change a heater matrix from outside the cabin ?
Beware of garages giving false diagnosis on cam chains...it's usually the adjuster just stuck because of poor quality oil used.
if after an oil change with semi synthetic and 500 miles they still rattle then change them.
Avoid the turbo and automatics...both thirsty beyond belief...the 2.0 16valve is fine and economical if kept in the green band of the rev counter.
900's with the engine north south should be avoided for the same reason thought they do have style.
Later 900's and 93's have the 9000 16v engine (tranverse)
if it dosen't fit your doing it wrong !
born2die
My Cars:

Post by born2die »

I had a 9000i 2ltr non turbo with an auto drank fuel at about the rate of my activa but it had comfier seats. Great for long distance drives an 1 excursion into a signpost on a wet road (all it did was just but a smalll ding in the bumper and this was an approximate impact speed of 25-30 mph). It just got too costley to maintain or I would still have it today.
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

FAO - yangreen.
Ian, look in your haynes and tell me the overall length of the Audi please.
I want to know if the prestige will fit round the back whilst i tart it up a bit. Collecting weekend in theory.
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Prestige?????? Wow Matt that should be an interesting one!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I thought Prestige was the maker of saucepans.
Jeremy
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Hopefully Adam,
Am keeping my mouth shut until I've actually picked it up (hopefully this weekend - but thats a bone of contention now the wifes car has been subject to a time wasting e-bayer)
And yes Jeremy its a big long CX shaped suacepan.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by James.UK</i>

Arry_B used to have a Saab I think?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Oh, yes! An '87 900 8V Turbo.
Absolutely briliant car to drive, but you need a passenger wherever you go to shovel the fivers into the boiler to keep it running.
I drive the ZX and have three extra holidays a year now!
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Nah...
forget the BX's and Saabs... You only live once ... Go and get yourself a CX GTi Turbo ... Mechanically they'll outlive us, however you'll be sure to know it's wiring looms quite well within a short period of time.
these cars are what Citroen is all about, decent seats (unlike the Xantia and BX), proper wishbone suspension, comfy ride, great handling (once you learn how to drive them), fantastic brakes, effortlessly fast ... It'll leave you Xantia CT turbo's for dead, while using much the same amount of petrol.
Go for it !!!! No doubt you'll be hooked in no time and have a yard full of CX "parts cars" and "restoration cases" :)
seeya,
Shane L.
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Shane,
You know I've had 2 :-) NOw the prestige is where its at, wafty luxury and hugely impressive to look at.
Follow this link for a quick peek................
http://images5.theimagehosting.com/RIM00001.JPG
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Good greif! And I thought the Audi was a tight fit in that spot!
Hate to say it but it sort of looks like a giant slug...[:D]
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

a giant slug! Unkind (to slugs). more like an abandonned bathtub:-)
I'll get my coat.....
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

You guys are so unkind... I'm gonna make you envious ... I'm about to go and take a piccie of my yard... You'll be how amazed how big the CX's look in it :)
seeya,
Shane L.