BEST MPG YET

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

I'm getting about 530-540 miles on the motorways out of a tank (41mpg) and about 490-500 when i'm doing purely town work (38mpg?), I don thing thats bad for a 7 year old 1.8i xantia with 145,000 miles on the clock !, I usually cruise at about 80-85 on the motorways, and stick to the speed limits oround town
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Some people don't seem to be able to get 40mpg in a diesel Xantia, never mind a petrol, so your economy is quite impressive Mosser. Driving style must play a part somewhere because if I let my mother loose on my Xantia the fuel economy isn't so good and she hardly drives fast, she just rarely uses 5th gear.
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

Thanks, I have always got good economy in every car i have owned except for my seat leon cupra turbo, i never managed to drive that car slowly and nearly lost my license in it !,
I do all the usual accelerate slowly rather than foot to the floor when coming out of roundabouts and away from junctions and bits, and i slow down slightly on hills and speed up on the down hills, so i know how to drive for economy, strange thing is that most people will race away from the lights and overtake me, but when you get to the next junction they are the car in front of me !!, and then they race away again overtaking or just pulling off fast, but when you get 10 miles down the road and they are stuck behine a slow car, you catch them up eventually so i dont really see much point in racing everywhere, I dont drive like a grandad though, i keep up with the general flow, but if you take a certain driving style, then its really suprising the sort of economy you can get!, I used to be able to get over 900 miles on my XM exclusive 2.5TD between fill ups!, i think that was about the best economy you could get out of that engine and i got it quite regularly
I think it comes from the fact that i have been driving on average 70,000 miles a year for the last 15 years and have now covered over 1.2 million miles and now adopt an economical driving style
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

There's nothing like a fuel protest to "encourage" people to drive more economically - the number of posts you see saying "I've never got anywhere near the economy I had during the fuel protests..", well, that would be because people are back to driving at 70-80mph instead of 50mph ( or not at all ! ).
There is another technique in petrol cars and ECU diesels - which is to slipstream a lorry ( not too close ). If you have an instant economy read-out, you can see this soar as you get to a certain spot behind a lorry / van ( usually about 3 - 4 car lengths, depending on speed ).
I once had an Avensis 1.8 VVTi auto as a courtesy car, which drank fuel ( average 24mpg ), but coming up the m1 one evening - 5 people in the car, the instant read-out climed instantly to about 70mpg as I hit the sweet spot behind a hgv, and stayed there for some time until I got bored. The figure was reflected in the average consumption, and the miles from that tank !
My Xantia TD used to get around 40-41mpg, with a boost to 50mpg in the highlands.
Quite disapointed in the mpg really, this was a 94L, my dad used to have a 96N ( with the keycode ), and could consistently get 50-55mpg out of it - while not driving too slowly ( esp on motorways ).
My ax gets between 59 and 70mpg ( mostly motorway ) depending on the conditions.
One thing I have also noticed is that ECU controlled cars seem to be more economical ( but also more variable ) than non-ecu controlled cars - I suppose on an ecu car, things change with the conditions - fuelling etc.. whereas on a non-ecu, engine fuelling id more consistent, regardless of favourable conditions that could be expoloted to the benefit of economy and performance ( which an ecu would recognise ).
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Unfortunately, the ECU engined car cannot give of its best because of the weight of pretensioners, airbags, brake management systems, electrically damped engine mounts, electronic stability packages, fourteen speakers, nine inch wide tyres, excrescent economy spoilers (To make it look fast,) and four cup holders per occupant.
Example: Mini. Weight over 1 ton. Wheelbase equal to mark one Range Rover.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

An ECU engined Xantia HDI is more economical than a mechanical injected XUD, and I'd like to see a carb engined car get the same economy as its multi-point fuel injected equivilent.
I agree with what you're saying about cars getting heavier, a BX is a flyweight compared to a Xantia, and the C5 seems to be about a quarter of a tonne heavier than the Xantia with the same engines. Cars are growing, getting bigger and more crash worthy with each generation and people aren't going for the next size down in the range.
Apparently the next generation Mercedes 'S' class opens all of its windows slightly if you have an accident in it. When all of the airbags in a modern car go off together they raise the air pressure in the car and can burst the occupants eardrums, so not all of the new technology is perfect.
crooser

Post by crooser »

mosser,my xm 2.5 is on a par with yours,850+ to a tank equating to about 50 mpg.pretty impressive taking into account the size of the car.