a leaking injector on 1.8i 16v?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kid
My Cars:

a leaking injector on 1.8i 16v?

Post by kid »

Hi again
After reading the following thread from the pug section it appears I have the same problem.
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... C_ID=15560
A leaking injector, it has been like this for a while but as performance was not affected ive left it alone. The injector in question is injector no 1, (i.e. closest one to the offside wing, looking from the engine).
1) So would i be on the right lines thinking black soot like substance on the injector means it’s leaking? With the other three you can see the blue plastic bit.
2) Can i leave it as it is or do i need to change the o-rings? Ive had a look in Haynes and the job appears to be within my capability (!), so I don’t mind giving a go
3) Would fuel economy be affected?
4) Why did two MOTs not pick this up? Surely leaking pipes anywhere on a car = fail
TIA
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Unless I'm mistaken, the link you put up refers to a diesel and if yours is a 1.8i 16V then you need to look at this.
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... C_ID=11984
That is a BX and I don't know how similar they are, but one thing's for sure, if you're driving one around with a split "O" ring, you ain't drivin' a car ol' son; you're driving a potential incendury bomb.
I have 2 BXs at my place that have been up in flames due to this as the fuel vapour can build up under the bonnet and given the correct set of circumstances (ie) red hot exhaust or a spark, will literally erupt in flames as happened with both these cars that we bough at salvage auctions; both with the same problem.
This shows the before after and how far down they need to be stripped to rebuild them; you won't believe the difference to the running and performance once they're done.
Hope that's some help.
Alan S
kid
My Cars:

Post by kid »

Ok thanks alans, looks like i will need to change ASAP (this weekend). I will have another look at Haynes (it has lots of pictures and seems to be good on this topic) and then rewrite it in my own words and post it on here to see if it sounds about right. Then ill have a go.
from the haynes manual they suggest that i will have to change all four lower o rings, but only the one upper o ring(on the leaky injector) does this sound right?
also does anyone know where i can buy them, GSF dont sell them, dealer wants £2.15 EACH [V]
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

They should come in a kit form as shown above from any Bosch service agent.
The set above as shown cost me A$10.50 and we needed 2 sets on the BXs.
I'd suggest you change the lot as they will all be the same age and possibly will be hard and splitting or stretching due to age, otherwise you might find yourself doing them in instalments and the next one that goes you may not be so lucky with.
I don't know what it is in the UK with the parts suppliers wanting to charge an arm and a leg for these things. They're nothing special, just "O" rings and bought seperately here instead of in a kit as shown, they'll cost about 55 - 80 cents. I've been told in teh past by owners from Holland and Denmark that the kits are readily available over there and the prices about on par with ours out here, yet you guys all seem to have a problem getting anyone to either sell them to you or if they decide to, they all seem to want to take you to the cleaners for such a paltry item...bloody amazing when you compare larger items with the prices we're forced to pay over here. Must be a monopoly thing????
Good luck with it; hope you can track them down at a sensible price.
Alan S