Changing spheres- how do I get the old ones off?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mattpc

Changing spheres- how do I get the old ones off?

Post by mattpc »

1 depressurised system
Vehicle is on minimum height. Engine is not started, system is depressurised.
I can't get the bloomin sphere off! Had a go by hand. There was no way it was coming off like that. Next I tried attaching my oil filter removal tool! It's one of those metal ones that have a metal band and you turn the nut at the top to tighten it. Well all that happened was that I took some paint off the sphere whilst the band slid and some of the metal on the guide of the tool sort of fractured! How do I get these things off..[xx(]
EDIT, I've also tried doing as suggested on here and repressurised the system , put the vehicle on max height, switched it off and tried again but to no avail.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Hammer and chisel. should work right [;)]. If not, spend a few quid and buy a sphere removal tool.
And finally, there's the search facilty of this forum, you'll find plenty of hints on this subject[:)]
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

I did try to use the search facility I promise.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

If your filter tool's a decent one it should work.
Tighten it very firmly with a spanner, and fit a length of tubing to give it more leverage.
Spheres can be <i>very</i> tight - you might need to lie down and push the tubing with your feet, but be very careful that the car's adequately supported[:0]
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Front or back?
The fronts don't need the system to be pressurised, the backs need it to keep them in place while you "crack" the joint. It needs depressurising before you unscrew them all the way.
aengus
My Cars:

Post by aengus »

or give the filter tool a sharp tap with a 4-pound hammer in the right direction - to shock the sphere loose (assuming you've got enough room to take a small swing at it). Don't undo them till you've depressurised, max 1/4 turn, or it can hurt!
Be sure you've got the body supported on stands so it won't suddenly drop on you.
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

It's the fronts I'm doing at the moment. The darn sphere has damaged the filter tool! I'm scared to apply too much pressure as I can see the unit the sphere is attached to moving very slightly when I'm pulling as hard as I can!
Darn GSF Trafford. The unhelpful guy in there told me that he had never heard of a sphere removal tool and when I told him they advertised it on the website he checked again and said he couldn't get it!! One of the blokes in there is absolutely excellent, the rest seem to lack product knowledge.[}:)]
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Pleiades in Cambridge will send you one - the same one that GSF do. With the right tool, the spheres will come off easily.
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

Well I went on the GSF website and ordered one from there. Let's see if it really is out of stock!![?]
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If all else fails, a sharp chisel into the welded seam as flat to the sphere as it will go without slipping, and a good thump with a heavy hammer. Once its cracked it should be fairly easy to undo. When replacing them only do up hand tight.
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

Geez, This all seems too much like hard work to me!! Having said that the first time I serviced my MkI Xantia it took me all day cos I was struggling with the oil filter. Thanks for your words of encourgement and tips guys.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

MAtt, i didn't mean to be offensive, it's just that so many removal tools have been mentioned over the time, that a quick search could get you in the right way[:)]
Try this one with the filter removal thingy: place a piece of rubber (for instnace a bike tyre inner rubber - forgot the name of it) between the sphere and the filter tool.
Also, it sometimes help to first screw the sphere before unscrewing it, helps cracking up any oxidation that may have formed.
Keep on with the news about this!
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

thanks 406v6 I didn't take it as offensive. I know there's a wealth of info in previous posts but sometimes it's hard to get the search function to find what you are looking for. I know I'm posting for a lot of help at the moment but my last Xantia died at a very unfortunate time. I've had to buy a new motor and am now very skint so I can't afford to have mechanics fixing the many niggles with the new Xant. I'm trying to learn to maintain the vehicle properly myself to save money and because it's something I enjoy. However, fear not I will contribute my new knowledge and skills (when I have learned them properly) to the forum and try to help others. After all that's what it's all about isn't it?
I will certainly keep everyone updated on this and my other Xantia niggles! Cheers, Matt.
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

Hi,
Have a look at "Handy Hints and Tips" page 3.
Home made ones, work a treat.
Cheers
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

Those look like absolutely brilliant devices!! I'm impressed.