dealing with rust - GSA lives!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Watch those windows mate.
GS/A's notorious for becoming unglued between glass and winder mechanism.
Many ways of dealing with it, but only one permanent, speak to Rob Moss again its one of his mods :-)
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stinkwheel</i>

Watch those windows mate.
GS/A's notorious for becoming unglued between glass and winder mechanism.
Many ways of dealing with it, but only one permanent, speak to Rob Moss again its one of his mods :-)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I had this happen to mine [V]
On some models of GS (earlier ones ?) the window winder mechanism clamps all the way across the glass at the bottom as you would expect, on my one, and I think the GSA as well, there are two tiny aluminium plates with rollers on them that..... GLUE!! To the glass on one side.... grrrrr
Needless to say the glue breaks eventually. The way I repaired it was to take the glass out, and the two little roller plates, and using the dirt marks to see exactly where they're supposed to be (important) I glued them back on with 5 minute araldite with a healthy big fillet of glue around the tapered edge of the plate...
Never failed again in the time I had the car after that.
Another thing to check if you have difficulty winding up the window is to pull the door covering off and check the bolts that bolt the winder mechanism on - they're in slotted grooves to allow adjustment, and if the bolts work loose they drop down to the lowest position and the winder jams. (Which could contribute to the glue breaking due to excessive force)
When you tighten them you usually have to play with the tilt angle of the winder mechanism to get a nice easy winding action...
Regards,
Simon
basil40

Post by basil40 »

will do Simon.