Steering wheel shaking under braking & cornering..

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

eskimoigloo
My Cars:

Steering wheel shaking under braking & cornering..

Post by eskimoigloo »

Ok, after sorting some electrical gremlins in my new ebay bargain Xantia HDI, and hence being able to drive it I have another problem, which isn't really answered in any other threads I have found. Under medium-heavy braking the steering wheel shakes, I can feel a very slight wobble in the wheel when driving normally, and there is also a shake (not nearly as bad) when cornering on rough tarmac. Parked on the drive rocking the steering wheel left to right I can hear a knocking - it has a ring to it, like metal on metal, but can't tell where it's coming from (may not be related???). I only initially noticed the shaking under braking (thought it was a warped disc) and changed the discs and pads, but the problem is now worse (more bite from brakes maybe?). I have also tried swapping wheels front to back, but this made no difference. It feels to be worse when braking with my foot on the clutch. Since changing discs and pads, whilst it is shaking I can now hear a distinct knock.
Any help greatly appreciated, I have got to take the grandparents out to dinner in it on Sunday!!!
Chris.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If your grannies got a toolbox it could be an interesting sunday ...
The metallic knocking IMHO is the best leader to the problem. Any minor balancing imperfection woulkd affect wear in the steering/suspension components.
Could be droplinks, control arm bushes or the lower sviwel balljoint.
Point is you have to do a "MOT-test" on the car to find the cause ...
I take it you're aware of the effects of grease (even minor oily fingerprints) on the brake discs ? - and new discs always comes with a layer of (greasy) anti-rust ?
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

First thing I would check is the steering track rod ends. What ever the fault is it is allowing the wheels to vary in directional travel, so check the following as well, ball joints, sub frame mounts, rack wear, rack fixings to chassis, wheel bearings as a starter. I agree with Anders that if you can get an MOT (mine cost £25)at reasonable cost I would let them test it to identify the problem. I hope you do not end up witha shopping list. I hope your grannie enjoys the day!
eskimoigloo
My Cars:

Post by eskimoigloo »

hhhmmm... starting to seem tempting. Just been out there with my crowbar, limited access to things lying on the drive though. Can't find any play in bottom ball joints, track rod ends, struts or drop links. I can get the bottom arm to move about 4-5mm in the rear bush (on both sides of the car) although it is only the rubber squashing - is this normal? The main thing I have found however is a small amount of up and down play on the steering wheel, the rack isn't moving, it appears to be at the joint between steering wheel and rack, but I can't work out how to get the steering wheel off to have a look!!!!!
Could contaminated discs/pads really cause the steering to shake and then this movement in the steering wheel be giving me my knocking noise? I am all out of de-greaser at the moment and so can't try cleaning them!
Chris.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Its always sad to hear of a fellow Citroen owner experincing the same as myself however i seem to have constant vibrations over about 60mph and any time during braking etc etc
All wheels balanced,
All wheels aligned,
Complete brake overhaul,
Knocking link arm replaced.
Yet still the vibrations, sick to death of them but as long as i keep the car running its saving me a fair bit of money with the employer, just would be nice for a ride like the C5 i test drove a couple of months back [V]
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Could it be that there is a "faulty" tyre? A bulge in the tyre wall or a flat spot on the tyre could cause vibrations, as could a buckled wheel. I had a wheel balanced last year after clouting a kerb, and the tyre bloke said it was fine, back on the car was a different matter. Try putting back wheels on front of car and visa versa and see if the vibrations are still there. Also, are you using locking wheel nuts? if so replace these with standard ones as Ive known these to be the cause also. Only other thing I can think of is you have a duff drive shaft.
harryb.48
My Cars:

Post by harryb.48 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The main thing I have found however is a small amount of up and down play on the steering wheel, the rack isn't moving, it appears to be at the joint between steering wheel and rack, but I can't work out how to get the steering wheel off to have a look!!!!!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Strange that you have up and down play.
I have just changed my steering column as the column bearings were worn(lateral play)but there was no up and down play.
You may have correctly identified the fault as the universal joint at the bottom of the column which could cause a "clunk"under certain conditions,and cause the play,if there is also some movement in the bearings which are just two bushes,top and bottom.Unfortunately ,you have to replace the column completely - not too difficult a job - I got mine for £25 at my local scrapyard.
A worse scenario(especially if you don`t know the history) would be if the universal joint pinch bolt had come loose for any reason.This is easily accessed by removing the footwell trim panel and if you remove the column cowling you can have a good look at the complete column mountings etc.
There are several threads concerning steering wheel removal,and once it is off you can easily remove the column.The main thing to remember is to disconnect the battery for 10 mins or so before removing the airbag ,which comes away (very carefully)after unscrewing the two torx screws (30 0r 35)at the rear of the steering wheel boss,and you can then disconnect the airbag plug/socket.
eskimoigloo
My Cars:

Post by eskimoigloo »

Having "warmed up" the brakes a few times, the problem seems to be easing. I am thinking I got some copper slip grease on the pads/discs some how, and this is slowly burning away. As for the knocking, this is deffo the steering column, so will attempt that once I have traced a bible (i mean Haynes manual) that covers up to a 2001 Xantia!!!
Chris.