New Car, Another New problem!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mattpc

New Car, Another New problem!

Post by mattpc »

I must be a sucker for punishment buying these Xantias but they are strangely addictive and above all cheap (well to buy initially at least)..
There seems to be fresh, room temperature water droping from the passenger side of the underneath of my new Xantia. It looks like it's coming from the back of the engine compartment (it's kindof dropping down onto the road approximately straight below where the LHM tank is. It gets faster if the car engine is running, still drops down a bit if its not. The water is clear, defo not LHM or oil. The water is only a little bit warmer than it would be out of the cold tap! Any ideas?
The car is an 1999 Xantia 2.0 HDI SX with aircon
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Aircon condensor unit evaporation type water probably.
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

At least you found one with working aircon... [:D]
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

So this unit is probably leaking or it discharges the water naturally? I'm guessing you mean the unit or a pipe is leaking?
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Phew! I bet that got your pulce racing a bit[:D]
Its most likely to be that condensate, my pop phoned me last night after getting his new Xant, couldnt stop the little red flashing light on the dash!
Stewart
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

I don't understand, so is there a problem or not? Yes I was not best pleased to see the water. At first I thought it was probably just dripping off because it had been raining the previous day but when I realised that it was not because of that I started putting my hand under the fluid to see what it was (praying it was LHM or molton coolant!!). TBH I expected some teething problems when I bought this one because a Xantia HDI 110 SX for £1250 seemed a bit too good to be true to me!! I had a budget of £1500 and don't need the car much in August so I'm hoping to use the summer to get this baby shipshape for September when I'll probably be doing more miles in it again.
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

No it's not a problem. The aircon sucks the moisture out of the air and sends it to the outside world via the aforementioned pipe...
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

WOO HOO! Thanks guys. Maybe I'll actually get to clean her up this evening, having spent all day messing around with removing wheels, brake bleeding etc..
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

As has been said it shows your A/C is working.
ENJOY!!
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Its probably a bit dangerous but if you taste the water as it drips it shouldn't taste of anything just plain water not sweet or anything!!!!
If its a late car it will just behind the wheel/back of wheelarch my earlier car dripped more towards the centre of the car
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

Switch off the aircon. If the water stops you've cracked it.
All my cars with aircon do/did exactly what you describe but I would not taste the water - danger of bacteria contamination.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Yeah I thought of that just (sorry)
still I haven't got legionners yet!!!!
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

thanks guys. Don't worry I've not been drinking the water![:D]
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

I only drink water when it is bottled as in tonic. I then add an antbacterial agent : alcohol in the form of 47% proof gin works best I have found after long experimentation...late at night...
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Quote: "alcohol in the form of 47%"
Thats what we call anti-freeze over here :)