Service History

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sponix
My Cars:

Service History

Post by sponix »

The Bling is coming up for its fifth service (40k miles). It currently has a full set of service stamps in the service book as the previous owner had it serviced at the main dealer.
According to the schedule, the next service simply involves replacing filters, checking levels and inspecting things like the brake system, all things that I'm perfectly capable of doing myself.
My concern, however, is that any buyers in the future may be put off that I haven't had it serviced by a garage.
My intention was to do the service by the book and keep all the receipts for filters/oil etc.
Would a full collection of receipts be enough to satisfy a future buyer that the car has been properly maintained?
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Depends on how knowledgable the buyer is - a dealer would certainly use it as a means of knocking down your exchange value, but anyone who's read Honest John should know that just having authorised workshops stamp your book is no means of ensuring you won't have any trouble in the future.
//NiSk
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

If you intend to sell it in the next few years then a main dealer service history is essential if you want the best price!!
99% of car buyers have asolutely no idea what goes on under the bonnet and so the first thing they look for is a book full of dealer stamps-as does any dealer you may want to trade with- true, we all know they are worthless but to the people who may be thinking of buying your car they are everything!!!!
Look at it this way- you go to look at a newish car and the 40k service stamp isn't there-you're immediatly going to start knocking the price down just on that without even needing to open the bonnet.
Look at how often you see FSH in a dealers listings- they are not stupid and they know the value of that book of stamps.
Of course, if you intend to keep it for another 10 years then its irrelevant!
cornishbx16v

Post by cornishbx16v »

if you present the car to a dealers with half dealer history and a whole load of reciepts for parts bought for the servicing then as rightly said they will knock downthe price of the car to you! but when the deal is done they will more than likely bung the receipts in the bin and stamp the book themselves! it depends on what you intend to do with the car! if your keeping it then do it your self although if you are getting shot of it soon then get a dealer/specialest to do it and stamp the book!
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

How old is it?
If it is more than 5 years old, then a FSH is a luxury few buyers will find and certainly a full DEALER sh is unusual after that date.
But if you intend to sell in the next 2 years a FSH may make the difference between selling and not.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

And won't the cost of having the thing serviced by the dealer cost more than you will loose?
jeremy
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

No, because missing service stamps will make it difficult to sell at all if its less than say 5 or 6 years old!
Say a dealer service costs about £150 every year/10k- at 40000 miles thats only £600, and any half switched on dealer or buyer is going to want more than that knocked off the asking- I know I certainly would!!
Once past 7 or 8 years old it doesn't matter so much, but up until then that book is worth its weight in gold!!