Sphere pressure tester

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Don't bid on the one I'm after Vanny PLEASE
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

lol i see a huge load of them so it shouldn't be a problem, unless its that one i already bid on, whats the eBay username?
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by vanny</i>

WOW thats so cool, i have nearly all those parts in the garage as well, off to bid me a pressure guage! gonna get one to 200 ish PSI and maybe boost my car hydraulic pressure for a laugh!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
200 psi guage ? You mean 200 bars I hope ? [:D] 200 is good if you want to be able to also measure things like the main regulator pressure while its running, (up to around 170 bars) but a 100 bar guage is better for getting accurate sphere readings as the highest pressure spheres are 75 bars and some are as low as 30. (A bit far down on the scale on a 200 bar guage to get a nice accurate reading)
Regards,
Simon
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

First prototype, just waiting for a gauge
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Where's your authentic BX LHM tank?
And it doesn't look anywhere near rusty enough either!
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Funny you should say that, Kowalski, I dumped a BX LHM tank and top last month thinking 'I won't need that'[:o)]
As to the rust, BX never[:0]
BUT the FIAT in the garage[}:)]
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bernie</i>

Excellent... That'll work perfectly... The output from the regulator you have going back to the LHM tank ... It'll go straight into the guage...
You currently have the regulator return (big sucker, nearly as big as the feed line to the pump) straight to the ground. This will need to be returned to your LHM bottle.
Peice of cake aren't they ... Hardest bit being the drive to the local 'hose' shop so they can cut/flare/join the guage to the citroen hydraulic line [:)]
seeya,
Shane L.
PS: Are you making a brake fluid tester ??? Is that why it's all painted black.... You holding out on us ... What sort of early ID's and DS's do you have [:0] [:D]...
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

I do have a big box of pressure goo-ages in the garage - if anyone is still interested, I will try to dig them out at the weekend, otherwise, they will go on fleabay.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

I'm interested because Jon is saving these bits off a breaker to build a rig for the club.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the max presure in system is 2600psi so you will need a gauge that goes to 3000psi min
regards malcolm
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DoubleChevron</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bernie</i>

Excellent... That'll work perfectly... The output from the regulator you have going back to the LHM tank ... It'll go straight into the guage...
<font color="red"><b><i>Are you saying remove the small pipe from the tank and put gauge on the end?</i></b></font id="red">
You currently have the regulator return (big sucker, nearly as big as the feed line to the pump) straight to the ground. This will need to be returned to your LHM bottle.
<font color="red"><b><i>Also the connection on the rear of the PR (not used in picture) is the return feed back to the tank?</i></b></font id="red">
Peice of cake aren't they ... Hardest bit being the drive to the local 'hose' shop so they can cut/flare/join the guage to the citroen hydraulic line [:)]
seeya,
Shane L.
PS: Are you making a brake fluid tester ??? Is that why it's all painted black.... You holding out on us ... What sort of early ID's and DS's do you have [:0] [:D]...
<b>Pump is from a BX GTI and PR from 16v</b>
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"><font face="Arial Black"></font id="Arial Black"><font color="red"></font id="red">
Cheers Shane[:)]
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

The small high pressure line that you have run into the LHM bottle ... This is the high pressure output from the regulator. If you completely blank this off what will happen is the pressure created by the pump as you turn it will increase until regulator cutout (you know, like when you hear the pump on the car click out). What will then happen is the big rubber hose from the regulator that you have running to the ground ... The fluid will then flow from here back to the reseviour allowing the pump to freewheel just pumping fluid back to the LHM bottle under no pressure .... Until the pressure drops back to regualtor cut in speed.
So yes that hydraulic line is where you put the pressure guage... The big return line from the reseviour still needs to back to the LHM bottle. We will never need to pump up enough pressure to cut out the regulator, however when you open the regulator bleed screw after testing the sphere the fluid will gush out of this big return back to the tank.
seeya,
Shane L.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Thanks Shane, I've just won the gauge on ebay so I'll get it connected to the small pipe outlet on the PR.
Then the other 2 ports back to the lhm bottle.
Thanks again Shane
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

The bit I don't get is why is Citroen painting there hydraulic components black ... Have they really forgotten there past to the extent they don't even aknowledge "black" painted hydraulic gear == BRAKE FLUID DO NOT USE LHM.
It must save 20pence a car to paint it black not green [V]
seeya,
Shane L.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by citronut</i>

the max presure in system is 2600psi so you will need a gauge that goes to 3000psi min
regards malcolm
This is right for testing hydraulics on the car (eg: setting the crossover pressures on the DS steering), however the highest sphere pressure is about 75bars. So a pressure guage of 100bars would be best (as the calibrations will be nice, big and accurate).
The guage on my tester has duel calibrations, (bars and psi), you DEFINATLY want a guage that measures bars. All spheres have the charge pressure stamped under there filler plug. You'll need to get out a calculator and convert the pressure (in bars) stamped under the filler plug to psi if your guage measures only psi.
seeya,
Shane L.