Xsara not plippin'

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

smashymike

Xsara not plippin'

Post by smashymike »

Well now ... mrs smashy's Xsara (mk1) has decided not to plip anymore. A major problem cos the alarm is running off the plip. So i dutifully fitted a new battery, no joy. So, tried to disarm alarm via a lot of ignition turning on/off and the plip decided to work again. So, job done i thought. Alas no ... same symptoms again this evening. Now i'm wondering could it not be the plip and something in the car as i seemed to 'marry' the car and plip together over lunch only for the marraige to fall apart (which it will do soon if i'm not careful!) latre this evening. Any ideas where i should look first. I've only got the one plip (RF i think) so using the spare is not anoption ... thanks!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Just double check the two soft key buttons on the plip. Known common fault that they stop making contact with the circuit board inside. Once you've taken the battery out you should be able to trmove the whole of the inside with a little poking about.
smashymike

Post by smashymike »

Stu - did that, look ok to me. This just happened, not as if the battery was running low, just ok one moment then nada the next. I've already replaced battery (but didn't realise i only had 10 secs (read it somewhere) so maybe the battery WAS dead and i've just made things worse. How do i reprogram (is it possible?). Nothing on the plip works,alarm (biggest pain cos i can't reset it, car's undrivable at mo'),central locking aint working either via plip. This is a rf plip so seems a tad more complicated to reprogram. Anyone know how this is done (or have a spare two button rf plip i could beg,borrow,steal,buy just to eliminate the plip altho' i assume 'd need to also reprogram that, doh!!)
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

Anders recorded a post I made on how to reprogramme the plip, go to it and if no joy come back to me. Put plip in to the search box.
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

Just noticed (Doh!) yours is not a Xantia! Is it a two button plip?
smashymike

Post by smashymike »

John, hello! yes, its a 2 button RF plip but i've got an update .... just tried it and it's working?? Most strange? I've done nothing to it but given that it IS doing its job then i can rule out the busines of needing to marry the plip to the car via adealer as has been mentioned. The car obviously knows about the plip. Where that leaves me i don't know cos i can see the scenario whereby the car gets locked on the plip, plip fails, car still alarmed so effectively immobile. Remember this is mrs smashys car (mines a Xant) so i can see a lot of grief on the horizon. Maybe it IS the plip itself, possible to be draining 3v battery i wonder as it has only nw worked after a 'rest'. Bearing in mind that itstopped working after a 'rest' also. This is a new battery, maybe there's an ongoing drain problem, however small. I'm stumped!!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

To set the Xsara plip to the car. (if memory serves me right)
Open the car with plip
Get in and place the key in ignition and turn to just befor start, then lock car using plip while in ignition holding close button for a count of ten.
Now turn off ignition and remove key. You should be able to open and close doors and start, drive, set alarm etc with the plip.
Hope this helps.