Need info on rr susp cyl Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AndersDK
My Cars:

Need info on rr susp cyl Xantia

Post by AndersDK »

Have received a set of s/h rear suspension cylinders for the mkI saloon Xantia from my reputed local parts breaker.
However one cylinder is a lot different from the other one :
a) 1 cylinder exactly like expected internal piston dia 35mm.
b) 1 cylinder odd - slightly larger outer dia - but piston dia is 40mm.
Apart from that they look very much the same from outside. Easy to mix up on the shelf for the average parts guy - which is exactly what happened [:(]
Edit : Forgot to add I'm talking NON-hydractive cylinders - i.e. small (3.5mm) feed pipes.
Anyone knows what model type b) cylinder fits on ?
- XM saloon ?
- or Xantia Estate (mkII then) ?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The MK I Xantia hatchbacks got 2 different types of rear suspension cylinders, the diameters of 35mm and 40mm sound familiar.
GSF list 2 different struts for the Xantia,
N43465 HYDRAULIC STRUT GEN RE XANTIA HATCH >RP 6778 (>6/95) REAR
N43465A HYDRAULIC STRUT GEN RE XANTIA HATCH (NON HYDRACTIVE) RP6779> REAR
their convention on parts numbers would suggest that the two are interchangable, but they are listed for different RP numbers, and I don't think they are actually interchangable, Jon will know more than I do about this.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I thought 40mm didn't sound right...
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
From '96 on, diameter of cylinders was increased from 35 mm (like in GS, BX...) to 38 mm (some papers say 37). Estates have 40 mm. Otherwise, these rear cylinders are very similar across all models. Similar cylinders were also on the front in older models (DS, CX, GS).
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=4837
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndersDK</i>

Have received a set of s/h rear suspension cylinders for the mkI saloon Xantia from my reputed local parts breaker.
However one cylinder is a lot different from the other one :
a) 1 cylinder exactly like expected internal piston dia 35mm.
b) 1 cylinder odd - slightly larger outer dia - but piston dia is 40mm.
Apart from that they look very much the same from outside. Easy to mix up on the shelf for the average parts guy - which is exactly what happened [:(]
Edit : Forgot to add I'm talking NON-hydractive cylinders - i.e. small (3.5mm) feed pipes.
Anyone knows what model type b) cylinder fits on ?
- XM saloon ?
- or Xantia Estate (mkII then) ?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
As far as I know the 35mm one is for the saloon (which expects a 30 bar sphere for normal ride) and the 40mm one is for the estate (which expects a 40 bar sphere for normal ride)
It goes without saying that mixing the two sizes on the back of the car at the same time wouldn't work.
If you did for some reason end up only being able to get a pair of 40mm ones, and assuming that they fit the mountings ok, you could probably get the 40 bar estate spheres and get good results, but otherwise you probably want to stick to a pair of 35mm ones...
Regards,
Simon
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Thanks Simon -
I just wanted to know where the 40mm one would fit.
For some odd reasons the PR net does not list a Xantia Estate rr cylinder pre RP6779. Only an rr cylinder is listed.
For RP6779 on - the hatch and Estate rr cylinders are listed separately - and then suddenly they are listed separately for right and left sides ? This is continued in the MkII listings.
<font color="blue"><i>No reference is given on piston/bore dia in any of above listings.</i></font id="blue"> [:(]
The old thread Kowalski digged out exactly gives the answer. Where Alexx found that info I donno [:)]