Citroen C5s

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mak224751
My Cars:

Citroen C5s

Post by mak224751 »

Hi All,
I have just got rid of my xantia and am thinking about buying a Citroen C5. I have seen one for £5000 on a 51 Reg, 73000 miles and it is a Citroen C5 Saloon 2.2 HDI. What are the general views on these cars as Which magazine slated it but the top gear website gave it a good write up. Any comments would be appreciated before I blow my hard earned cash
Thanks
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

You could always buy me one first and I shall tell you [:p]
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

Anyone who buys a C5 has lost any critical faculties regarding style and beauty imo. Looks dumpy/ugly and depreciates faster than a stone falling down a cliff. And Ciroen very kinf=dly designed some built in faults so the customers could test them.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by madasafish</i>

Anyone who buys a C5 has lost any critical faculties regarding style and beauty imo. Looks dumpy/ugly and depreciates faster than a stone falling down a cliff. And Ciroen very kinf=dly designed some built in faults so the customers could test them.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Now you've done it, I want one.
I want a 2.2 HDI, same fuel economy as my Xantia 1.9TD except fast too. Good diesel engines, good ride, at least I won't have to look at the outside when I'm driving it.
AWG
My Cars:

Post by AWG »

My father has bought one. The suspension and braking seem very different. Separate pumps for each leg and a conventional braking system. Loads of electrics playing games with the ride height when you just look at the car. I suspect that there is much less one can do to the suspension system as it appears to be composed of less user servicable parts (that's less not fewer!). Suspension seems to get tricked by some road surfaces. Haven't looked at GSF yet but some service items are AMAZINGLY expensive.
Having said all that it's a very nice car from the inside!
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

What do you mean bt "conventional breaking system"?
Has it become a regular Dot5.1 thing? Is it no more a part of the hydraulic system??
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

They've got conventional servo-assisted hydraulic brakes just like the rest of the Peugeot / Citroen range. The cost of developing EBD and Emergency brake assist must be what did it, frankly I don't think its a step forwards at all.
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

I've experianced a C5 2.2 on the track and all the current citroen range with Vanny the 2 cars in the current range that shone (including the C4 VTS) were the C8 (cant remember engine speck but they were all exclusives) and the 2.2 C5 estate the road holding of the hatch isnt as good as the estate and the car fidgets under hard cornering the C8 is actualy more capable than the c5 hatch but the C5 estate that was the suprise especialy the over all performance not much could keep up with us and high speed handeling was like the C8 better than the sports C4's!!!
On that note the worst car of the day was the 1.1 c3 senso drive, after being out in one i have no fear of pulling out on one in my V6 xantia at a roundabout if it has right of way, even if its started moving its never going to get near me, we did at least 3 laps in all the other cars even the C1 but 1 lap was all we could bring our selves to do in the senso drive!
Andy
Sir Clive

Post by Sir Clive »

I've owned my C5 Hdi estate from new, having traded in an HDi Xantia for it.
After 75,000 miles I still love driving it, and have often travelled over 300 miles in a day with no discomfort.
If the one your're looking at is a 51 reg, check that it doesn't make clonking noises from the rear suspension, and also check that the rear tyres haven't worn unevenly. The fix for this was a complete rear beam axle replacement, which *should* have been done under warranty.
Oh yes, and the brakes may be conventional in operation but they are very powerful and I have no complaints.
The green LHM has been done away with, replaced by fully synthetic fluid which lasts for 100,000 miles.
Tyre wear can be heavy, and with the added weight of the car, drop links can need replacing after 40-50,000 miles. They are the same part as on later Xantias though.
Oh, and check the rear silencer. On early cars they tended to rot out the stub pipe where they joined the exhaust pipe, and later exhaust systems have been modified. I ended up with a custom made stainless steel rear box, half the price of a genuine part and a lot cheaper.
Regards
Philip
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

Do you know of anybody who has had to replace a FAP particle filter?
I've heard that these are expensive, figures like £1500 have been mentioned, and I don't really want to spend that amount of money on anything apart from the car.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kowalski</i>

Do you know of anybody who has had to replace a FAP particle filter?
I've heard that these are expensive, figures like £1500 have been mentioned, and I don't really want to spend that amount of money on anything apart from the car.
a FAP change & Eolys fluid re-fill should cost around £250-£350.thats with an exchange FAP.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wheeler</i>
a FAP change & Eolys fluid re-fill should cost around £250-£350.thats with an exchange FAP.
And can it be done DIY?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

theres nothing to stop you changing the particle filter & re-filling the Eolys fluid but you need a Lexia or Proxia to re-set the counters in the FAP ECU.
JT
My Cars:

Post by JT »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sir Clive</i>

I've owned my C5 Hdi estate from new, having traded in an HDi Xantia for it.
After 75,000 miles I still love driving it, and have often travelled over 300 miles in a day with no discomfort.
If the one your're looking at is a 51 reg, check that it doesn't make clonking noises from the rear suspension, and also check that the rear tyres haven't worn unevenly. The fix for this was a complete rear beam axle replacement, which *should* have been done under warranty.
Oh yes, and the brakes may be conventional in operation but they are very powerful and I have no complaints.
The green LHM has been done away with, replaced by fully synthetic fluid which lasts for 100,000 miles.
Tyre wear can be heavy, and with the added weight of the car, drop links can need replacing after 40-50,000 miles. They are the same part as on later Xantias though.
Oh, and check the rear silencer. On early cars they tended to rot out the stub pipe where they joined the exhaust pipe, and later exhaust systems have been modified. I ended up with a custom made stainless steel rear box, half the price of a genuine part and a lot cheaper.
Regards
Philip
Rear beam axle replacement? Is this expensive? Why does the whole thing need to be replaced?
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

it's a factory fault, and the expense is fully supported by Citroën. Affects mostly 2001 models. At the time, rear spheres were of the wrong type, same as the above.