cx versus xantia tyre blowout ??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

aengus
My Cars:

Post by aengus »

But Cit ads way back did just that, a GS heading into a gap between to lorries, deliberately blow one of the fronts, drive through the gap, hang a left and stop without any problems at all, impressive.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by aengus</i>

But Cit ads way back did just that, a GS heading into a gap between to lorries, deliberately blow one of the fronts, drive through the gap, hang a left and stop without any problems at all, impressive.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yeah I've seen that one I think...or at least stills from it... but there is a big difference between a tire blowout, and the entire wheel coming off and rolling away in front of you leaving only the hub behind [:D]
Regards,
Simon
broomie
My Cars:

Post by broomie »

Details perhaps but if he lost the whole wheel how did he find collect teh wheel nust / studs so easily - surely scattered for miles?
aengus
My Cars:

Post by aengus »

not if the hob cap stayed in place - would have retained them with a bit of luck
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Take one from each wheel of course, as recommended in ancient AA books for the people who lose their wheelnuts!!!
But I still don't believe a word of it!!!!!I posted on general chat ages ago about driving Cits on 3 wheels- lots of people knew someone or a friend of a friend who had done it, but nobody had actually done it themselves or was prepared to take a front wheel off and try it!!!!
I certainly won't- I know the car will fall over unless I stuff a load of old engines in the opposite corner to counterbalance it, and then it would be all oily inside.....
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by broomie</i>

Details perhaps but if he lost the whole wheel how did he find collect teh wheel nust / studs so easily - surely scattered for miles?
It's a '59 DS19 ....... ie: It has 1 single centerfix stud. You pull an expanding type star out as you tighten the stud securing the wheel. They hadn't tightened the center fixing stud when they'd finished working on the car. So it had vibrated loose. The center bolt doesn't fall out when the wheel is removed. It always stays with the wheel. So it is a simple matter of playing fetch, and going to retrieve the wheel and refitting it.
seeya,
Shane L.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bxbodger</i>

Take one from each wheel of course, as recommended in ancient AA books for the people who lose their wheelnuts!!!
But I still don't believe a word of it!!!!!I posted on general chat ages ago about driving Cits on 3 wheels- lots of people knew someone or a friend of a friend who had done it, but nobody had actually done it themselves or was prepared to take a front wheel off and try it!!!!
I certainly won't- I know the car will fall over unless I stuff a load of old engines in the opposite corner to counterbalance it, and then it would be all oily inside.....
Believe it ... Do you want me to get Roger to post here, he's on the internet most days but doesn't care for modern Citroens (well anything except for early DS's). It was only last year remember, not " remember 50years ago when .....".
I've driven cars with rear wheel removed ... Big deal ... I wouldn't suggest doing it with a CX or BX, they don't have the tornional strength of a DS.
seeya,
Shane L.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bxbodger</i>

A missing front wheel perhaps, but if you're one wheel short at the front you should transfer a wheel from the back to the front. You can definately drive a GS with a back wheel missing, (I've done it, just to confirm it) and its easy to explain why.
All that is needed for a car to be stable is the centre of mass to be within the support points. With a rear wheel missing you would draw a line between each remaining wheel forming a triangle - and provided the centre of mass is within that triangle, the car will stay on its feet.
Most Citroen's are front heavy putting the centre of mass well forward, and therefore within that triangle. Of course you wouldn't want to do too much fast cornering in the opposite direction to the missing wheel as the centre of mass would move outside the triangle [;)]
From memory it was necessary to set the suspension to the increased ground clearance setting to avoid the rear corner from coming dangerously close to the ground, since the twist of the rollbar would allow the body height to be a bit lower than normal. [:D]
Believe it, it works...(at least on models like the GS that have good torsional strength... I wouldn't like to try it on my Xantia [:p])
Regards,
Simon
broomie
My Cars:

Post by broomie »

I believe! I had no idea they used that type of fixing!
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by FrenchLeave</i>

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know why car manufacturers changed the wheel attachments from studs and nuts (much easier for an old duffer to fit the wheel) to bolts?
Cost, and no other reason. By changing from studs and nuts to bolts, you reduce your parts count by 50%, and reduce the assembly time, as the studs don't have to be assembled onto the hubs.
It does seem very much like penny pinching, but if you can save 50p per car made, on a run of 200'000 cars you've saved £100'000.
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Cheers David, I don't know about the rest of you but I would willingly pay an extra 50p to have studs and nuts. (Or even £1, then they could round all their prices up to even '000s instead of this £x999 nonsense!)