cx versus xantia tyre blowout ??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Peter.N.</i>

I am sure that the CX as the last 'proper' Citroen had many of its virtues. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Oooooh Can of worms.... I thought the BX was the last "Proper Citroen".[:o)]
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The Xantia has everything the BX did, and it's not made out of plastic which is a bonus too.
The Xantia didn't get diravi, but it did get the hydractive and activa systems, unless the C6's suspension is pretty advanced, the Xantia will be the technical pinacle of hyropneumatic suspension.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

The Xantias steering sucks though .... It's low geared to the point of being bloody annoying. Even the BX isn't so low geared. It's cr@p after driving a CX everyday.
Still it drives well, just a pitty Citroen feel it's necesary to 'dumb' everything unique and good about there cars down. :(
seeya,
Shane L.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I should imagine BX and subsequent cars have so called 'Negative scrub radius' steering which is supposed to make the car more stable under certain circumstance (I think loss of adhesion of a front wheel and possibly blowouts)
If I remember correctly this was the only thing pioneered of the Ford Fiesta and was probably the reason that some things like VW Scirroco's were totally dead around the centre and not pleasant to drive on twisty roads. having said that neither BX or ZX seem to suffer like that so I don't know if they have it.
Jeremy
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

Am I the only one who gets sick of these comparisons? If the cx was the last real Citroen then the BX was? and the non ha Xantia was????
I've come into Citroens late and expect more than comfort from a car hence my choice, but a Xantia none HA is indistinguishable from a BX other than the addition of some body roll and the lack of performance (drive a 1.9 td Xantia and a BX 1.7 td and tell me the bx isn’t more fun to drive).
I've been in a ha2 Xantia with a blowouts at over 70mph and there was no way to tell what had happened (didn’t even feel like we hit a medium pot hole - front left went), the car was totally normal other than a slight amount more road noise and with it being the wife driving when I realised that something wasn’t right she slammed the breaks on and the car still tried to put me through the windscreen as the abs kicked in to stop the car!
The Xantia is the last of the true Citroens (simple (non ha) and complex (Activa)) this changed when the C5 was released because of the use of normal breaks.
What actually sells Citroens (old ones (DS-Xantia)) to me is the technology, rather than just going with the flow they produced a suspension system that is safe and comfortable in different situations. The suspension system can be used to give absolute comfort at low speeds for cruising or incredible grip and safety on bends at speed.
Andy
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

I feel we have gone off track slightly here,
I certainly dont want to say proper citroen or not about any of them, I've owned Xantias and BX's and liked them for different reasons. The rasons i like a CX best on the hydro cit range has lots of reasons, looks, feels, ride, handling, performance, they just suit me well. Same goes for 2CV family of cars. I am not saying the others arent proper citroens, because they are. And Shane if im ever over in Aus can i have a go in a DS please ?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The BX and Xantia are true Citroens only in respect of the hydropnumatic part of the suspension, with the mechanical part they have capitulated to the mass market with Macpherson struts (I think I spelt that wrong) and although this makes them easier to work on, they dont have the character of the CX with its varipower steering and centrally pivoted wheels. The BX is a remarkable car in its own right, the TD version having 'hot hatch' performance for very little money, I think too, that the Xantia is only second to the XM for ride quality, but they are still a compromise.
aengus
My Cars:

Post by aengus »

but you could say that of the XM too, Peter. And also of the C5, and probably the C6.
Depending on when you 'join' the Citroen model range, I expect will alter your perspective view of what is a 'true' Cit. Surely the TA was really it? in which case the Hydro ones aren't? ;-)
ssray
My Cars:

Post by ssray »

My `real bx estate lost a front wheel on the M25 and i crashed.
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ssray</i>

My `real bx estate lost a front wheel on the M25 and i crashed.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
You are going to have to expand on that one, how did you loose a front wheel? [:(]
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

How careless, should remember where you put things :-)
But seriously how and what happened?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

This is my last say, and then I will rest my case (thank goodness for that I hear you say). Yes, aengus is quite right, It does depend where you start. But having been alive for quite a long time I have seen Citroens gradually move away from their individuality. The DS was quite unlike any other car of its time, with disc brakes, hydropnumatic suspension and Citroens different but much improved suspension, but after the CX each succesive model lost some part of its original 'Citroness' and now, suspension spart, they are not so very different from the run of the mill cars. The reason for this has been largely a matter of survival, a lot of people didn't like the quirkiness of them, but that was because they didn't drive them for long enough, they used to say about the CX ' if you drive it for less than half an hour, you will never want to drive it again, if you drive for more than half an hour, you will never want to drive anything else' and that's true, its how I got hooked, and I still regard the CX as the best car I have ever driven.
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

I agree with that last statement, totally.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

CX beats all comers for ride. Shame that the only car to beat it for rusting was the Alfasud.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

They don't make them like they used to!
For better or worse I'll simply say " No comment!"
jeremy