Any advice on Flaring tool.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

DON'T overtighten it!!!! If the union is leaking you will probably just need a new seal, and its overtightening that kills them!!! Light hand pressure only- the seal is obtained by system pressure swelling out the rubber (see haynes), and it would be very easy to overdo it trying to stop a leak with by tightening with a mole- if its clamped on tight thats a lot of leverage......it may just get worse!!!
Someone may have been at it before and rounded off the union in a vain attempt to stop the leak by nipping it up a bit[:(!]
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

Hoke make a range of stainless Gyrolock compression fittings that are rated for 5,000+ psi. I repaired a damaged hydraulic line on my Xantia (to the rear anti-sink accumulator) several years ago. Imperial size compressed down onto the Citroen tube. Stripped the paint off the outside of the tube first. Fast, easy, lightweight, no problem since.
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

Peter,
Did you not flare the piping then? Also what part and imperial size did you use? The pipe I may need to join is 3.75mm diameter. They have a UK distributor so it could be an option?
I am aware of overtighting, the union nut looked as though it had only been 'done up' a few times and looked about 6 threads further out than the union next to it. I first completely undid the union, removed the pipe from the seal, stuck a new seal in and reseated the pipe and union, then tighted it up. As I mentioned it may have done the trick but until I get a new inlet manifold I can't start the engine and test it.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

in that case you might find some one had cross threaded it that may be why it was not in as fare as the other one
regards malcolm