lower arm mot failure xantia td

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi marty
thanks for that ill keep a check on them straps, well my laguna doesnt suffer from those gearbox probs you mentioned all gear changes are smooth and precise but i will have the oil level checked just as a precution my car does not have a/c or airbag so the matrix should be quite easy if i ever need to do it hope not the only other prob i have is the aux belt squeals for a few seconds on start up then all is fine how do i adjust that.
pete...............
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Dont over tighten as you will toast the alternator bearings. You can (well on the petrol ones) slacken off and adjust the alternator to pull up the slack.
I would replace if I were you (only £4) that should cure the squeal. Also make sure it isnt the alternator bearing on its way out (though that does it all the time usually - but will stop if you fire some oil at the bearings).
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi marty
yes good idea i,ll renew the belt and tension it properly i did that on my xantia when i had the very same problem. thanks for the info marty.
Much appreciated.
You seem to know quite a bit about lagunas ive never had one before so im still learning but ive been recomended to go for a laguna as im led to belive they,re good cars but like all cars they have they,re problems.
Pete...............................
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi agian
just something else i want to add to this when this squeeling is going on the rev counter stays on zero and sometimes the batt light comes on then when the squeeling stops it goes back to normal so is this just the belt or is my alternator on the way out.
pete...........
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Sounds like it could be the alternator dying - not too dificult to fit a new one.
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

ok thanks marty ill see about getting new one i,ll replace the belt as well that should sort it out.
pete..................