'96 1.9td lx Xantia starting problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Whitecrook
My Cars:

'96 1.9td lx Xantia starting problems

Post by Whitecrook »

Hi all
My xantia has difficulty starting, usually after it has been sitting overnight or similar.
When I turn the ignition on the glow light lights up for about 5-6 secs and then I try to start and the engine will turn over and try to start but it won't. The battery is good since it turns over quite strongly, and usually there is a cloud of grey/whitish smoke after failed attempts.
Sometimes it will start for a sec or 2 then die. Then usually it will start again. and will be rough for another few secs engine pitch will be uneven for another few seconds In between each try I turn ignition on and wait for a couple of secs after the glow light goes out.
To get it to start I generally turn the ignition on wait about 10 secs. Off and on again, wait ten secs. I do this about 5-6 times. Then just go for it and it will generally start after some turning.
When I go to start the car after driving somewhere (i.e after a couple of hours) it usually starts fine after starting in normal manner. (let ignition pre heat light go out once and then turn key)
Possibly glow plugs? How the heck do you get into them it looks as though alot of stuff has to be removed first.
Another electrical fault or a fuel problems?
What are the basic checks I can do before I start dismantling everything?
Thanks all for your time reading this.
ps. does anybody know a good citroen mechanic/garage in Glasgow area?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Sounds as though its glowplugs and/or air in the fuel.
To test the glowplugs remove the wire from the top and then connect a test lamp or meter from the battery + to the top of each plug in turn. If the light lights - OK - if no plug has failed. (alternatively with meter look for a voltage very similar to battery.) If one has failed - do the lot - they will go at more or less the same time.
The diesel system is prone to air leaks particularily as the pipework hardens and deteriorates with age. If you have a Bosch pump - check the leakoff pipes (small rubber ones connecting the injectors) and the end cap (Roto-diesel just leak and smell). On both see if priminhg it by hand improves things - if so probably a leak somewhere.
Jeremy
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

You need fingers like ET to get the plugs out, but it is not that bad. They are about £25 a set and will be the best investment made if that is the problem. They really will make a real differenece. If in doubt take them out and test the one by one with jump leads. If after 6 seconds the nose does not glow bright red chuck them. Ensure when re fitting everything is clean and tightly fitted.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi, yes its the glow plugs that have gone.
DO NOT go to H*lf*rds to buy replacement ones.
You must get top quality glowplugs, like the ones from GSF (I am not on commision!.
You must make sure you have at least a day to change them as the one behind the injector pump is a right basrstool to replace.
Paul