Xantia 95 1.9TD bestest most goodest oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ebod
My Cars:

Xantia 95 1.9TD bestest most goodest oil

Post by ebod »

I'm borrowing & servicing my brothers Xantia whilst he's away on hol for next two weeks.
On my diesels, I don't hesitate and stick Millers XFD full synthetic in them. But I do oil changes at 10K miles as my cars are 22K per year motorway cars ( i.e. minimal cold running )
His Xantia is effectively a valueless work banger but it does a similar duty i.e. 20K per year carrying one person.
In the Haynes book , the recommended oil is as follows :-
SAE 10W/40 or 15W/50 to ACEA B3.96
This actually is the same as the petrol engine according to the book!
Today, I nipped into MAKRO wholesalers and noticed they were selling semi & full synth oils from 'Carlube R' for about £15 quid. There were various 10/40etc type grades but I noticed on the back that while it said recommended by BMW ,Rover etc it did not list Peugeot Citroen.
So to conclude,
-Would this Carlube R stuff be okay (full synth)
-Whats the best grade ? 10W/40 ?
-I'm going to tell my brother he needs to change the oil out every six months which is about 10K miles....or is it critical that 6K changes are done ? ( My Synergie service book says 10K and the engine is the same )
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I expect our hosts sell known brand oil (like Morris) for less than that.
I always use Morris turbo diesel oil - can't say if its any better than others as my car has only done 200,000 miles and hasn't been run on it all its life.
All do know is that it seems quieter than when I put fully synthetic in it.
Jeremy
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

No real help this but just building up my posting value [:D]
Had my zx now 13 months and oil change it every 5000 miles using Magnatec (free cap) 10/40W, and i do about 40,000 a year and by heck it doesnt use much of the stuff and seems to run fine with no problems
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I use Trago Mills best, about £5:50 a gallon and change it every 5k. As long as the oil meets the necessary spec, I use the cheapest I can find. My CX td Safari was showing 266 k when I sold it of which I had done over 150k. I have since had four XMs all run on the same oil the last one I sold having covered 292k. I think that changing it regularly is more important than paying a fortune for the oil.
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

did you actually buy the oil at trago mills shopping outlet ?, or is that a brand name for the oil ?, its a very good price if its the right spec
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Yes I bought it at Trago Mills (only available in the west country) but, no its not there own oil, they buy whatever they can get cheapest. There are several brands of cheap oil, some I have never heard of but they all have the appropriate letters and numbers.
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

I found since sticking in 10w40 semi in my 1.9td the engine ran smoother & quieter.
The oil I get is Motaquip premium and I get it for about £5-6 for 5l, but my father in law is the director of a motaquip distributer (the only reason I married his daughter, valeo xantia clutch kit for £45 [;)]). 15w40 is still fine though but I'd rather the 10w40 even though its a bit thin, but I change every 6k.
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

I use Total Quartz 9000 fully synthetic. around £7/liter