Xantia valve noises and oil consumption

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

The hydraulic tappets Tero.
Another suggestion that we haven't covered but which I feel should be checked is the cam belt. Has this been changed and/or checked? That may be a good precaution also. They should be changed at 80,000klmms intervals.
When you say the car has 170K klms I assume that is the total mileage & on the assumption that the car was originally serviced as it should & belt changed at the specified interval, it is ready or slightly overdue for a new cambelt. These cars don't have a real lot of weak points but a cam belt, whilst not a weak point is something that essentially MUST be kept in good nick. If it's stretched or damaged, then that could be the cause in itself.
Alan S
tka
My Cars:

Post by tka »

Alans: Isn't the cam belt changing interval 120 tkm? I remember that is the interval told in manual. Haynes tells 60tkm...120tkm.
Tero
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Alans: Isn't the cam belt changing interval 120 tkm? I remember that is the interval told in manual. Haynes tells 60tkm...120tkm.
Tero
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
Tero,
Sorry to be so slow getting back to you but I am having problems getting into this site from my side of the World at present.
The BX 16 Valve is 48,000 miles/80,000 klms but having said that, I just replaced mine at 40,000 and found it had been fitted pretty poorly. I have also seen another which was thought to be OK but was so sloppy on one side that it was a disaster waiting to happen.
I personally feel that it is easy to get caught and cause a lot of damage with a cambelt as they can easily be incorrectly fitted, life expectancy can be affected by the weather and should be changed at either a set mileage or time; by that I mean that say on a BX 16V, it should be 80K klms or 4 years whichever happens sooner. I also feel that if you are in a wet climate, that this also can affect the life of the belt.
Brij Dogra in Malaysia has maintained for years that due to their humid climate, the belts should be done every 40K klms over there. On the assumption that he is correct, and he claims to base this on experience, then I feel in a Country that is prone to rain & snow, the same should apply. After all, humidity is about moisture in the air and not temperature.
It's very cheap insurance against major engine failure.
Alan S