Engine rebuilding

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I would have thought that £200 was reasonable all done, especially with the camshaft shimmed and the bolts and gaskets supplied.
Remember Citroen reduced the thermostat opening temperatures for all of these engines to about 82 from 92 degrees. This even applied to the huge one on the 1.7TD engine as I found out when I replaced mine (old was 93 or something - its marked on the body of the thing somewhere.) You will also need a new 'O' ring gasket which fits round the outside and these come in 2 sizes (or more). Our ZX uses a thick one (4mm thick?)
Jeremy
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Good move Vanny, letting the machine shop do it. Price is about right too.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I've often commented on the fact that all too often it seems that there's a tendency to go looking for used parts as replacements or improvising ways of doing jobs when the machine shop is by far the best and often cheapest option.
I learnt this when I once spent ages stuffing around with a head off a slasher with a Briggs and Scrapiron engine but ran out of time and patience.
Took it to an engine rebuilder (who was having a slack day) told me to wait while he did it and charged me A$5. I got it back cleaned up like new and refaced.....why did I bother wasting all that time the other way?
I've had heads done by the same guy which were simple and straight forward for just over A$200. It takes them minutes to do what I'd take hours to do and if they're well set up to do a good job, you won't believe how well the car goes once it's back together.
Alan S